Emily Bonds Davey is the director of Clinics, Externships and Public Interest at Cumberland School of Law. She teaches Contracts and the Externship Seminar.
She earned a Bachelor of Arts in political science from Jacksonville State University and a Juris Doctor from the University of Alabama School of Law. She was a senior editor for the Alabama Law Review, a Hugo Black Scholar, and received several Best Paper awards.
Before joining the Cumberland faculty, she practiced law for over 30 years, most recently with Jones Walker LLP, where she was a partner. Davey’s professional practice focused on commercial and personal injury litigation. She handled cases in a wide variety of practice areas including insurance fraud, pharmaceutical litigation, medical malpractice, products liability, business and commercial disputes, banking, and insurance coverage. Her practice extended to the state and federal courts of both Alabama and Mississippi.
In addition, she is a trained mediator and arbitrator. She is a member of the Alabama Academy of Attorney Mediators, an organization formed in 1998 by experienced attorney-mediators that encourages and promotes the highest level of mediation skills. She is an arbitrator listed with the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA).
Davey is very active in the Birmingham Bar Association, currently serving on the Grievance Committee, co-chair of the Education Committee for the Women Lawyers Section, and Treasurer of the Alternative Dispute Resolution Section. Davey was instrumental in bringing the “Resolve2Solve” program to Tarrant High School. Davey is also involved locally serving the Alabama ALS Association.
Teaching & Research Interests
Contracts, lawyering, mediation
- JD, University of Alabama School of Law (1990)
- BA, Jacksonville State University (1987)
Prior Professional Honors and Leadership
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rating in Martindale-Hubbell
- Mid-South Super Lawyers, Professional Liability: Defense (listed annually since 2012)
- Alabama Super Lawyers, Top 25 Female Attorneys statewide
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law, Litigation – Banking and Finance, and Litigation – Municipal (listed annually since 2012)
- Birmingham Magazine, "Top Attorneys," Insurance Defense, Birmingham, Alabama (2012)
- B-Metro Magazine, Top Flight Attorneys (2017) and Top Women Attorneys (2017-2020)
- Birmingham Business Journal, "Top 40 Under 40" (2004)
- Birmingham Bar Foundation, Board of Directors (2013-2015)
- Birmingham Bar Association, Women’s Section: Chair – Service Award Committee (2021); Co-Chair – Service Committee (2020); Executive Committee (2012); Alternative Dispute Resolution Section: President (2012); President-Elect (2011); Secretary (2009-2010).
- Birmingham Legal Secretaries Association, "Lawyer of the Year" (2007)
- Jacksonville State University, "2013 Alumna of the Year"
- Jacksonville State University Alumni Association, President 2010-2011; Past President 2012
Publications and Seminars
- "Beyond the Blog — COVID-19 Recap — November 22, 2020," Jones Walker LLP Disaster Prep & Recovery Client Alert, November 22, 2020
- "Will Insurance Agents be the Next Target for COVID-Related Business Losses?" The Professional Liability Underwriting Society, November 2020
- "Beyond the Blog — COVID-19 Weekly Recap — April 19, 2020," Jones Walker LLP Disaster Prep & Recovery Client Alert, April 19, 2020
- "State Insurance Departments Issue Rules on Policy Cancellations/Renewals During COVID-19," Jones Walker LLP Insurance Coverage Client Alert, April 17, 2020
- "Navigating an Investigation or Complaint by the CFP Board," For the Defense, October 11, 2013
- The Mechanics of Alabama Civil Procedure – Birmingham, AL, December 18, 2010
- The Mechanics of Alabama Civil Procedure – Birmingham, AL, December 17, 2009
- Litigating to Win Through Advanced Trial Advocacy -Birmingham, AL, November 13, 2008;
- Be an Expert on Experts – Birmingham, AL, December 13, 2006 (Moderator)
- Daniel v. Creative Mortg. Resolutions, LLC, 2020 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 114456 (N.D. Ala. June 30, 2020).
- Heritage Bank of the S. v. Jones & Jones Constr. LLC, 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 122165 (N.D. Ala. Aug. 15, 2014)
- Brawley v. Northwestern Mut. Life Ins. Co., 288 F. Supp. 3d 1277 (N.D. Ala. 2017).
- Powell v. Gorham, 2013 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 83858 (N.D. Ala. June 14, 2013)
- City of Irondale v. City of Leeds, 122 So. 3d 1244 (Ala. 2013).
- First Am. Title Ins. Co. v. Title2Land, LLC, 2011 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 23502 (M.D. Ala. March 8, 2011).
- Maloof v. John Hancock Life Insurance Company, 60 So. 3d 263 (Ala. 2010).
- Blackburn v. Calhoun, 2008 WL 850191 (N.D. Ala. March 4, 2008), aff’d on appeal, Blackburn v. Calhoun, 2008 WL 4601736 (11th Cir. Oct. 17, 2008).
- Boone v Health Strategies, Inc., 2007 WL 2332696 (M.D. Ala. August 15, 2007).
- Business Alliance for Responsible Development v. Storm Water Management, Inc., 462 F.Supp.2d 1186 (N.D. Ala. 2006).
- Philadelphia American Life Insurance Company v. Bender, 893 So. 2d 1104 (Ala. 2004).
- Woltersdorf v. Pentagon Federal Credit Union, 320 F.Supp.2d 1222 (N.D. Ala. 2004).
- Ruiz de Molina v. Merritt & Furman Ins. Agency, Inc., 220 F.Supp.2d 1249 (N.D. Ala. 2002).
- Densmore v. Jefferson County, 813 So.2d 844 (Ala. 2001).
- English v. Capital Risk Management, 2001 WL 910412 (M.D. Ala. Aug. 8, 2001).
- Ruiz de Molina v. Merritt & Furman Ins. Agency, Inc., 207 F.3d 1351 (11th Cir. 2000).
- Ex parte Foster, 758 So. 2d 916 (Ala. 1999).
- BBCGH Partners I v. Scott, Carper & Aman, Inc., 761 So. 2d 255 (Ala. Civ. App. 1999).
- Georgia Power Company v. Partin, 727 So. 2d 2 (Ala. 1998).
- Patrick v. Union State Bank, 681 So. 2d 1364 (Ala. 1996).
- Alabama Housing Finance Authority v. Verex Assur., Inc., 1994 WL 384017 (M.D. Ala. July 1, 1994).