Joined faculty in 1971
Teaching and Research Interests: Contracts, Municipal Court Practice and Procedure
- Municipal Judge; Hoover, Alabama (current)
- Chief Legal Advisor to the Governor of Alabama, 1993–1995
- Former Municipal Judge; City of Homewood and Pelham, Alabama
Professor Brad Bishop is an expert in drunk driving law, he authored Drunk Drivers: The Law in Alabama and The Prosecution and Defense of DUI Cases; A Practitioner's Handbook. In addition he is an expert in shoplifting law and authored The Law of Shoplifting: A Guide for Lawyers and Merchants. Prof. Bishop has recently appeared on National Public Radio (NPR) to discuss this topic.
Prof. Bishop has chaired the Alabama Supreme Court Advisory Commission on Municipal Courts. He served as a municipal judge for the cities of Homewood and Pelham, Alabama, and currently serves as a municipal judge for Hoover, Ala. Prof. Bishop is published in this area as well--Municipal Courts: Practice and Procedure in Alabama.
In addition, Prof. Bishop is an expert in the law of contracts. He has taught contracts at Cumberland School of Law for more than 30 years and he frequently lectures on the subject at national bar review courses.
Degrees and Certifications
- J.D., Cum Laude, Cumberland School of Law, 1971
- M.A., University of Alabama, Communication & Rhetorical Theory, 1962
- B.A., Samford University, speech and dramatic arts, 1961
Awards and Honors
- Harvey S. Jackson Excellence in Teaching Award, 2005 & 2009
- Distinguished Award of Justice as Municipal Judge, 2002
- Cumberland Distinguished Alumnus Award, 1994
- Alabama Bar Association Award of Merit, 1992
- George Macon Teacher of the Year, 1991