Established in 1847, Cumberland School of Law is committed to educating a diverse community of students with the knowledge and practical skills, equipping them to become highly competent, ethical lawyers committed to professionalism and public service. We are committed to producing leaders who will serve our state, country, and the world. The foundation of our students’ success is made possible by the generosity of our committed donors who without their support the exceptional educational experience provided to our students would not be possible.
Writing the next chapter in the history of Cumberland School of Law depends on your partnership and financial commitment. Your support is vital in our pursuit of short- and long-term campaign strategic initiatives including:
- Increased endowed scholarships needed to provide financial support to attract outstanding students
- Increased endowed faculty chairs, professorships and faculty support funds necessary to recruit and retain our dynamic faculty
- Increased endowed funds to provide support for experiential learning experiences, journals, and advocacy programs
- Increased annual funds needed to provide support for the areas of greatest need as determined by the dean
- Secure funding for the Always Cumberland capital campaign in support of building and classroom renovation projects and future law school addition
We gratefully accept outright gifts, gifts of stock, and bequests of any size and are happy to discuss any questions you may have. Thank you for your interest in supporting excellence at Cumberland and for your philanthropic commitment in writing the next chapter in the history of Cumberland School of Law!
In 2017, Cumberland School of Law launched the Bishop Society, named for long-time professor and dean, Thomas Brad Bishop ’61, J.D. ’71. Since its inception, the purpose of the Bishop Society has been to collectively gather contributions to provide scholarship support and public interest fellowships to deserving law students, upgrade technology and law school facilities, support the preparation and travel of Cumberland’s trial and other teams, and support faculty research. Thanks to Professor Bishop’s generosity of spirit and dedication to Cumberland, and member contributions, the Bishop Society will continue to support aspiring legal students attend Cumberland School of Law and thrive in their law school experiences.
“I have wanted to go to law school since I was in Kindergarten and I have never wavered from that decision. I find the nature of law to be very fluid and ever changing, which makes it a field that is never dull or stagnant. I enjoy being challenged every day and getting to have new experiences, both of which are satisfied by the legal field. When I enter the legal workforce, I want to be able to make a positive difference in the lives of my clients. I went to Samford for undergrad and I grew to love the school and decided to stay for another three years. I was offered a full ride scholarship to a law school in California and I was able to turn it down to attend Cumberland because of this scholarship.” —Madison Cumby '18, Bishop Society Scholarship Recipient
Designate Your Gift
Below are designations allowing you to direct your gift:
- A.G. Gaston Scholarship in Law
- Bishop Society
- Cambridge Study Abroad Annual Scholarship
- Center for Advocacy Training
- Center for Children, Law, and Ethics
- Center for Community Mediation and Public Interest Program
- Class of 1985 Scholarship
- Cumberland Fund
- Cumberland Veterans Legal Assistance Clinic (C-VETS)
- Diversity and Inclusion Initiatives
- Forever Samford, Always Cumberland Academic Programs
- Forever Samford, Always Cumberland Places and Spaces
- Forever Samford, Always Cumberland Scholarships
- Georgia Alumni Endowed Scholarship
- Herbert W. Peterson Endowed Scholarship
- Jere White Fellows Program
- North Carolina Alumni Endowed Scholarship
- Professor Belle Howe Stoddard Memorial Scholarship
Ways to Give
Giving online is an easy way to make a gift to Cumberland School of Law. There are many funds to designate your gift.
Giving by Mail
Cumberland School of Law
Attention: Paula Kierce
800 Lakeshore Drive
Birmingham, AL 35229
Giving by Pledge
By making a pledge, you can make a significant impact to Cumberland School of Law and its mission to educate competent well-rounded lawyers.
Making an Annual Gift
Annual giving is critical to providing Cumberland School of Law with budget-relieving resources. The fiscal year ends June 30 of each year.
Estate Planning and Bequests
With a planned giving strategy, you can put your assets to work for any part of Cumberland School of Law you choose. To ensure your goals are met, we invite you to contact Paula Kierce, director of development (205-726-4542) to learn more.
Thank you for your interest in gifting securities to support Cumberland School of Law. Your wise market investment is a wonderful gift. By donating appreciated stock, you can avoid long-term capital gains tax and deduct the full market value on your tax return.
To transfer stocks, please provide the following details to your brokerage firm then contact Doug Wilson, assistant vice president for university advancement, at 205-726-4266 to inform Samford of the amount (dollars or shares), stock name and desired use of funds.
Northern Trust DTC
If requested, Samford’s EIN number is 63-0312914
For cash wire transfers, contact Ian Schwarting, Accounting and Financial Services, 205-726-4536.