Christopher Ballmann arrived at Samford in 2016 after completing his PhD at Auburn University and Post-Doctoral Fellowship at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. His research expertise includes cardiovascular disease, exercise physiology, and skeletal muscle biology. His primary goals are to mentor and teach students about the multitude of health benefits from exercise and involve students in the scientific research process.
"Commit to the Lord in whatever you do, and He will establish your plans."
Degrees and Certifications
- Ph.D., exercise physiology, Auburn University
- M.Ed., exercise physiology, Auburn University
- B.S., exercise science, Auburn University
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship, University of Alabama at Birmingham
Exercise, Cardiovascular disease, Skeletal muscle, Physiology of training, Molecular mediators of exercise adaptation
- Harmon, B., Reed, A., Rogers, R., Pederson, J., Williams, T., Marshall, M., Ballmann, C. Differences in Balance Ability and Motor Control Between Dancers and Non-dancers with Varying Foot Positions. Journal of Functional Morphology and Kinesiology (2020), 5, 54.
- McLemore, B., McLemore, S., Rogers, R., Pederson, J., Williams, T., Marshall, M., Ballmann, C. Nocebo Effects on Perceived Muscle Soreness and Exercise Performance Following Unaccustomed Resistance Exercise: A Pilot Study. Journal of Functional Morphology and Kinesiology 2020, 5(2), 40.
- Ballmann, C., Quindry, J., Spaulding, H., Selsby, J. Therapeutic Potential of Quercetin in Cardiovascular and Neuromuscular Disorders. Conditioning Medicine, (2020), 3(3):117-134
- Duckworth, S., Higginbotham, C., Rogers, R., Pederson, J., Williams, T., Marshall, M., Ballmann, C. Effects of Dual-Tasking During Upper versus Full Body Exercise on Cognitive and Physical Performance Perceptual and Motor Skills (2020).
- Blazer, H., Jordan, C., Pederson, J., Rogers, R., Williams, T., Marshall, M., Ballmann, C. Effects of Time of Day Training Preference and Resistance Exercise Performance. Research Quarterly in Exercise and Sport (2020).
- Karow, M., Rogers, R., Pederson, J., Williams, T., Marshall, M., Ballmann, C. Effects of Preferred and Non-Preferred Warm-up Music on Exercise Performance. Perceptual Motor Skills (2020).
- Williams, T. D., Martin, M.P, Mintz, J, Rogers, R., Ballmann, C. The Effect of Acute Beet Root Juice Supplementation on Power, Velocity, and Muscular Strength-Endurance. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, (2020) 34.4: 924-928 .
- Miller, R., Rogers, R., Williams, T., Marshall, M, Moody, J., Hensarling, R., Ballmann, C. Effects of Protective American Football Headgear on Peripheral Vision Reaction Time and Visual Target Detection in Division I NCAA Football Players. Sports (2019), 7, 213.
- Degrange, T., Jackson, W., Williams, T., Rogers, R., Marshall, M., Ballmann, C. Acute Effects of Caffeine Ingestion on Velocity and Power Output During Resistance Exercise. International Journal of Exercise Science, (2019) 12 (2): 1280-1289.
- Ballmann, C., Maynard, D., Lafoon, Z., Marshall, M., Williams, T. D., Rogers, R. Effects of Listening to Preferred versus Non-preferred Music on Repeated Sprint Performance. Sports, (2019) 7 (8), 185.
- Ballmann, C., Hotchkiss, H., Marshall, M., Rogers, R. The Effect of Wearing a Lower Body Compression Garment on Anaerobic Exercise Performance in Division I NCAA Basketball Players. Sports, (2019) 7 (6),144
- Ballmann, C., Maze, S., Wells, A., Marshall, M., Rogers, R. Effects of Short-term Golden Root Extract (Rhodiola Rosea) Supplementation on Anaerobic Exercise Capacity. Journal of sports sciences, (2019) 37(9), 998-1003
- Ballmann, C., McCullum, M., Marshall, M., Rogers, R., Williams, T. Effects of Preferred versus Non-preferred Music on Resistance Exercise Performance. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research (2018).
- Ballmann, C., Denney, T., Beyers R., Quindry, T., Selsby, J, & Quindry, J. Lifelong dietary quercetin enrichment as a cardioprotective countermeasure in mdx mice. Experimental Physiology (2017), 102(6), 635-649.
- Ballmann, C., Tang, Y., Bush, Z., & Rowe, G. C. Adult Expression of PGC-1α and β in Skeletal Muscle is Not Required for Endurance Exercise-Induced Enhancement of Exercise Capacity. American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism, (2016) ,311 (6)
- Ballmann, C., Denney, T., Beyers R., Quindry, T., Selsby, J, & Quindry, J. Lifelong quercetin enrichment and cardioprotection in Mdx/Utrn+/-mice. American Journal Applied Physiology- Heart and Circulation Physiology Science (2016), ajpheart-00552
Selected Conference Lectures
- “For Those About to Rock: The Role of Music Preference on Exercise Performance”, Symposium., SEACSM Meeting, Jacksonville, FL (February, 2020)
- “Animal Research and Training for Exercise Science Professions” SEACSM meeting, Chattanooga, TN (2018)
- Long-Term Dietary Quercetin Enrichment and Cardiac Pathology in MDX and MDX/UTRN +/- Mice” University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL (2015)
- “Effect of Long-Term Quercetin Supplementation on Dystrophic Cardiac Pathology in MDX/UTRN +/- Mice” Experimental Biology (EB) Meeting, Boston, MA (2015)
Exercise Physiology, Cardiovascular disease, Muscular Dystrophy, Ergogenic aids, Music and Exercise
Honors and Awards
- Samford University School of Health Professions Excellence in Teaching Award, 2020
- Samford University Professor of the Week/Professor of the Game, 2019
- Samford University School of Health Professions Excellence in Scholarship Award, 2019
- University at Alabama Birmingham, Post-Doctoral Fellow, 2015
- American Kinesiology Association Doctoral Scholar, 2015
- American Heart Association
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American Physiological Society