February 2, 2009
While answering the questions on a routine form late last fall, one of our December graduates offered a few additional comments. Describing herself as a “non-traditional student” who chose to come here because “Harry Brock was my CEO and was always promoting Samford,” she said that she had been enrolled at Samford “off and on for 20 years.” “Attending Samford University has been the most challenging event in my life, as well as the most wonderful and memorable,” she said, adding “I’ll always have a place in my heart for Samford University . . .”
The world is better because of non-traditional students who pursue their dreams, regardless of how long it takes to attain them.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.