Our department provides services such as purchasing cards, vendor setups, and inventory control. Our office is located on the third floor of Samford Hall, room 301. We are open 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
The Purchasing Department strongly encourages departments to use preferred vendors whenever possible.
- Maximization of overall best value to the University
- Ease of ordering
- Higher service levels (because these vendors have a stronger commitment to the University)
- Prices on contracts are the actual prices departments will pay (savings are realized by the ordering dept.)
Medical Equipment & Supplies
- Henry Schein Inc. Athletic Supplies
- Henry Schein Inc. Dental Supplies
- Medline Industries – Medical Surgical Supplies
- Medline Industries – Pharmaceutical and OTC
- PHC Corporation
- Beckman Coulter
- Nikon Instruments
- PHC Corporation
- Sargent Welch
- The Baker Company
- Ward’s Science
- Waters Corporation
- Fisher Scientific
- Pocket Nurse
Moving & Relocation
- Park Moving and Storage
- Allied Van Lines
- North American Van Lines
- United Van Lines
- JMI Sports
- Matrix Fitness
- List Industries
- B&H Photo
- Henry Schein
- Irwin Seating
- Field Turf
- Sherwin Williams
- Sunbelt Rentals
- United Rentals
- Sherwin Williams
- PPG Paints
- Home Depot
- Pure Air
- Filtration Concepts
New Vendor Requests
Things to remember when requesting new vendors:
- To ensure that vendors are added into the system in a timely manner, please complete as much of the form as possible (especially fax numbers and contact names).
- Be sure to include your information at the bottom so that we know who to notify once the vendor is added into the system.
If you have any questions about vendor verification, please contact Monica Sun for more information.
The Business Services Department is delighted to offer a University Visa Procurement Program for ordering supplies or business services as a flexible alternative for processing low-dollar-value items from vendors by using a University Visa card. The card (The Samford University purchasing card) may also be used for travel-related services, i.e. airline tickets, hotel charges, restaurant charges and car rentals.
The purchasing card program is arranged through Regions Bank in Birmingham, Alabama. With the purchasing card you, the end-user, can purchase non-restricted commodities of $500 or less, directly from the vendor without a purchase order. It will also drastically reduce the effort required to make payments for your purchases.
The use of the purchasing card will not change the policy of using good procurement practices. Therefore all cards are issued with the approval of the department managers. Any card can be rescinded at any time by your manager or the program coordinator.
- Missing Receipts Form
- Purchasing Card Dispute Form
- Regions Purchasing Card Set-up and Maintenance Form
- Temporary PCARD Limit Increase Request
How does it work?
- The cardholder makes a purchase by charging it on the university Visa (within the limits)
- Regions, the Visa issuer, pays the vendor for the charges made to the card.
- Regions will bill the university every 30 days.
- Each cardholder will receive a statement listing all the charges on their individual card(s) that have been made in the 30-day period . The cardholder will review the statement and approve the charges on the Samford website. The cardholder does not pay this statement.
- The cardholder matches allL the receipts with their individual statement and attaches the receipts to the statement to keep for their own records.
- All of the charges for the university purchasing cards are paid from a master billing that is received in the purchasing department.
What can I purchase with the card?
The card may be used for purchases for goods or business services under $500 three times a day with a total maximum of $2,000 in a 30-day billing cycle.
- Office supplies
- Dues or fees
- Miscellaneous items
The card may be used for the purchase of travel-related goods and services with a transaction limit or maximum per billing cycle set by the president, vice presidents, dean or department head. Having a university purchasing card does not entitle all holders to have the privilege of using the card for travel purchases.
Who can get a card?
- Any employee authorized to sign on a university account.
- Any employee delegated authority by a department head.
- No personal use.
- The card is for business purposes only.
- Cards are issued to an employee rather than an office or department.
- The employee listed on the card has sole responsibility for the use of the card.
Local Dining Policy
Because most of the funding of Samford University is based on student tuition and donor gifts, faculty and staff should be vigilant about excessive spending on food and entertainment and should avoid instances where the university is funding employees entertaining each other.
The university will pay for approved, necessary and reasonable business meal expenditures that are hosted by and paid for by a Samford University employee that includes guests, business colleagues, donors and prospective employees and which results in a business benefit to the university. Examples include fundraising and recruitment.
If there are reasonable and necessary meal expenses for business meetings involving only university personnel and/or students during which focused business discussions take place, the frequency of such meetings and the related expenses must be appropriate to the purpose of the discussion and the nature of the business conducted. Examples of such meetings might include:
- Formally organized meetings that are necessary to carry out the business of official committees appointed by the university, school or department
- Meetings of an organized work group of employees or students that require the work of the group to progress through normal meal time. If possible, such meetings should be planned outside of normal meal times.
The following should not be placed on a university purchasing card:
- Regular staff meetings.
- Non-work related departmental or divisional gatherings, such as birthdays, retirements, introduction of new staff, and Christmas parties.
- Meals for individual employees unless they are out of town on university business.
- Meals for spouses, unless spouses of guests have been included and there is an appropriate purpose for such inclusion.
- Purchase of drinks, coffee and snacks, unless part of an approved meal in accordance with the guidelines provided herein.
It should not be the expectation of any employee that Samford University will provide meals and/or snacks on a regular or routine basis.
The control limits are flexible and may be set for the particular individual card. The limits that can be set are:
- Single purchase limit
- Spending limit per billing cycle
- Number of authorizations allowed per day
- Number of credit card transactions per cycle
- The cards may be limited by merchant codes called MCCs.
The card holder is responsible for verifying all purchases and transactions on their individual statements.
Retail only purchases are exempt from State of Alabama sales tax.
The university's purchasing procedures have not been updated in 18 years. Under the leadership of Samford's new Director of Business Services, Wade Walker, we saw a need to streamline the vendor search process and reduce costs for departments.
The receiving function of purchased goods for the University is necessary to ensure funds are expended appropriately. Any order placed on behalf of a university employee prior to having payment issued must be received in BANNER.
The creator of the requisition / purchase order request should view and inspect all items to verify receipt and condition.
If the Receiver is not certain of receipt, supporting documentation such as an email from the employee (other than the approver) who verified the receipt must be obtained.
- Receiving should be completed as soon as the merchandise or service has been delivered.
- Not receiving in a timely manner will delay payment to the vendor.
- Before processing the receiving report, the receiver should verify that the merchandise or service was received.
- Receiving should not be completed in Banner unless the departmental receiver has knowledge that the merchandise or service was delivered.
- No Banner receiver report should be completed from a verbal request.
Samford University travelers are encouraged to book their business travel using their pcard through the Christopherson Business Travel Management Tool. This travel management tool provides our travelers with access to their integrated technology platform AirPortal®. When making travel arrangements such as airline tickets, hotel rooms, and car reservations, travelers can use one simple login and securely manage all of their business travel needs.
Travel Profile - Start here to create a travel profile
Enterprise Reservation - If only reserving a vehicle use this Enterprise link for your reservation to avoid a service charge of $5.00.
Emerald Club - Sign up for the Enterprise/National Emerald Club rewards program, the premier rental program designed to offer you the benefits and rewards you deserve.
If you have any questions about local hotel or car rental requests, please contact Monica Sun for more information.
For charter bus rentals, the requestor must work out a contract with the charter company personally. We commonly use these companies:
Charter Bus Rentals
JAT, Inc. dba Thrasher Brothers Trailways
6400 1st Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35212
School Transportation Solutions
301 Fl Shuttlesworth Drive
Birmingham, AL 35234
There are no opportunities at this time.