The Office of Events Management oversees university event operations and logistics. We strive to create more efficient ways to use our scheduling resources to provide high-quality event support to the university and community. The Office of Events Management operates under Policy 1.02.
- University-wide Scheduling (SPACES)
- Summer Camps
- Event Support Services
All faculty and staff have access to request rooms and resources, including parking spaces on campus, through our scheduling system, SPACES. Regularly scheduled SPACES training classes can be found at www.eve.samford.edu.
If you have requested Reserved Parking (you may reserve up to 5 spaces per lot) through SPACES, the event contact must use this template for each spot requested. The signs must be in place by 8am, the day of the event. Failure to utilize this template will result in loss of reserved parking privileges.
If you are planning an event with 5 or more external guests coming onto campus for an event, you must also fill out the External Guests Event Request Form in SPACES. In addition to this, if the event falls under one of the following circumstances, the event contact must develop a parking plan with Transportation Services three weeks in advance of the event:
- The event is scheduled Monday through Friday, 7:00am – 3:30pm during the academic year
- The event attendance expects over FIVE external guests, who require parking, unless guests are parking in permanently reserved spaces such as Rotunda Club
- Guests will be arriving on buses
Event parking for external guests is restricted to the West Gate Parking Lot (11) or the Lower Leslie S. Wright Fine Arts Center parking lot (11a). These lots will be assigned on a first come, first-served basis. Guests will have access to the Samford shuttle service from these lots, or an event shuttle is available with an appropriate charge.
In the event these lots are full, guests will be required to park across Lakeshore Drive at the Track and Soccer lot (56a), and rent the event shuttle, with a three-hour minimum.
The event shuttle is available to any event for hire, but is required when guests park at the Track and Soccer lot.
If the event is expecting 75+ attendees, internal or external, the event contact must work with Public Safety for security needs, no exception. 205-726-2020.
Events that expect guests to arrive on buses must develop a logistic and parking plan with Transportation Services a minimum of three weeks in advance. Bus staging will take place at the Track and Soccer lot, 600 University Park Place. A Samford representative will meet them, prior to coming onto main campus. Buses will be sent onto campus in an orderly fashion, at the direction of Transportation Services. Once buses have emptied, they are to return to the Track and Soccer lot, and the same routine will be followed for pick-up.
Drop-off and pick-up location for buses are in front of the Leslie S. Wright Fine Arts Center, located at 872 Montague Drive, or as directed by Transportation Services. Once the buses have dropped off, they are required to park across Lakeshore Drive, at the Track and Soccer lot, and await further instructions for pick-up.
Below is an event checklist to ensure all steps have been taken to hold your event with external guests at Samford University:
- Request the event in SPACES using the External Guests Event Request Form (for step-by-step instructions, please click here). Make sure to request all tables, chairs, parking spaces, etc. that will be needed for this event, as they are offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Counts may be adjusted closer to the event date)
- Connect with Parking & Transportation to get parking passes for guests, develop a parking plan, and reserve the SamTram Event Shuttle, if necessary
- If the event qualifies as a sponsored event, go to Form Central and complete the Sponsorship Verification Form, and return to Events Management for approval. *This must be done before the event will be approved in SPACES* To determine if your event requires this form, please review the Events Policy 1.02 or contact Events Management for clarification
- Speak with Public Safety about all event security needs, from traffic management to police officers to provide security. (The cost for these services will be charged to the event organizer and requires a three-hour minimum, REQUIRED for events with 75+ attendees)
- Communicate parking details to external guests, including the parking map and parking passes. If guests have reserved parking spaces (limit of 5), please indicate where their reserved spot will be on a map for them
- If parking has been reserved and approved through SPACES, the event contact is responsible for completing the parking cone template and putting it on the cone the morning of the event, no later than 8:00am on the day of the event
- Update Events Management with any event changes that may affect the parking and/or security details (like an increase in attendance, cancellation of the event, etc.)
Please make sure to follow each step carefully. Failure to complete this checklist will delay the approval of your event or may result in the denial of a requested event.
Registered student organizations may request rooms and resources, using Orgsync for their programs and events.
For more information on student life, visit the Samford Student Life webpage, or call 205-726-2116.
Samford University is nestled in the heart of Birmingham, Alabama, and is the 87th oldest institution of higher learning in the United States. Samford University is a globally-engaged teaching and research university rooted firmly in its vibrant Christian mission. Samford offers several venues for meetings, banquets, weddings, and conferences. If you would like to request a venue for your event, please fill out the external event request form.
Once this form has been submitted, a representative from our events management team will be in touch with the availability status. Please allow 2 business days for a response.