University Health Services
Samford University, in partnership with St. Vincent's Health System, is pleased to provide health care services to our campus community of students and employees. This partnership builds on the strong faith-based mission of both the university and the St. Vincent's Health System.
Hours of Operation
For urgent care needs after hours visit St. Vincent's Urgent Care.
University Health Services is a fully-functional health care facility providing primary medical care, preventive health care and wellness services.
Primary Care Services
- Assessment and treatment for acute and chronic illness and injuries (example: cough, earache, sprained ankle, etc.)
- Basic first aid
- Digital X-ray
- Health maintenance and management of chronic conditions
- Hydration / IV fluid
- On-site Labs (CLIA Waived and non-complex chemistry)
- Sports injuries
- Urgent care
Preventive Health Care Services
- Allergy shot administration
- Physicals/well checks
- TB skin tests
- Women’s care
In partnership with St. Vincent’s staff, University Health Services offers wellness programs throughout the year.
Prior to starting an injection routine, allergy patients must have an office visit to establish care. The visit may take place any day during normal clinic hours.
Allergy Clinic: Wednesdays and Thursdays 12 - 2:30 p.m.
University Health Services is conveniently located on the east side of F. Page Seibert Hall, next to the football field. The clinic includes three examination rooms, a treatment room, triage area and on-site CLIA-waived lab.
Incoming Student Prerequisites and Forms
In keeping with the recommendations of the American College Health Association, Samford University requires certain immunizations upon matriculation. All students, including graduate and professional students, are required to submit the Immunization Record to University Admissions.
The record must be signed by a health care provider or community health department stamp and must be on the Samford immunization form.
New Student Health Forms
- Undergraduate Health Form (mandatory) - Required of all full-time domestic students enrolled in a degree-seeking program - Due at least 2 weeks prior to arrival - Upload online via Admission Application Status page
- Graduate Health Form
- College of Health Sciences Health and Immunization Forms - Required of all College of Health Sciences students - Upload via Employment Screening Services
- International Student Health Form - Required of international and ESL students prior to arrival
- International Student Immunization Record - Required of international and ESL students (TB skin test and other required vaccinations to be completed at UHS upon arrival)
- Medical Exemption from Immunization
Where Do You Turn It In?
- Undergraduate - Upload online via Admission Application Status page
- Graduate - Email to program admissions coordinator
- College of Health Sciences - Upload via Employment Screening Services
Failure to submit this documentation at least two (2) weeks before date of arrival will result in a $150 fine and/or a registration hold on the student’s record until the completed record is received.
See department/school specific deadlines in Student Handbook.
New Patient Forms
Records Request Form
To release records from University Health Services to another facility or to request records be sent to us.
How to Set Up Your St. Vincent's @ Samford Health System Patient Portal
- Get your registration code from the receptionist at Samford University Health Services. This will be sent via email or text message*.
- Click on the secure link in the message and follow the online instructions to set up your account
- Verify your identity by following the instructions online
- Log in to the patient portal using your new account information
*You must use the email provided at registration.
Go to St. Vincent's online for detailed instructions, or contact Samford University Health Services.
Insurance, Billing & Cancellations
University Health Services is a participating provider with several major insurance carriers. As a courtesy to students/patients, we will submit claims to the carriers with which we are contracted. Patients without coverage (or with coverage from a non-participating carrier) will be responsible for a $50 co-pay at the time of service plus the charge of any testing/procedures that the physician orders as medically necessary. Payment is due at the time services are rendered via Visa/Mastercard or can be applied to the student's Banner/e-bill.
In addition, Samford University employees participating in Samford’s Blue Cross Blue Shield plan will have the extra benefit of reduced co-pay ($15) for services rendered in University Health Services.
Providers & Claims
University Health Services is a participating provider for the following health insurance plans and networks:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Tricare Standard (Prime requires a referral from the assigned provider)
- United Healthcare
- Other group plans - call clinic to verify
*We are not a participating provider with any Coventry insurance plan. However, we will submit claims to be applied to the out of network benefits or proceed as self-pay, whichever is preferred.
As a courtesy to our patients, we will submit claims to the carriers listed above when complete insurance information is received. The patient will need to bring their insurance card or a legible copy of the front and back of the insurance card with them to the visit. The patient will also need to know the name and date of birth of the policy holder.
Patients with non-participating insurance plans or uninsured patients will be responsible for a $50 co-pay plus the charge of any tests/procedures/x-rays/etc that the physician orders as medically necessary.
Payment may be made by VISA or MasterCard at the time of service. We can apply the co-pay and/or balance to the Samford Banner/ e-bill as well. Co-pays and amounts expected not to be covered by insurance are due at the time of service, and may be paid using one of the approved payment methods. The patient or designated responsible party is responsible for any balances not paid by their insurance carrier including deductibles and non-covered services. Outstanding balances for international students will be posted to the student’s account in Banner and e-billed through the bursar’s office. Payment is due on or before the due date on the e-bill. There will be a $30 fee for any returned checks.
Occasionally there are services that may be necessary for treatment of the patient’s condition and maintenance of good health that are not covered by your insurance contract or that may be considered “medically unnecessary.” The patient or designated responsible party is expected to pay for those services in full. Please be assured that the test and treatments ordered are only those your health care provider believes are necessary for your treatment and care.
Unless otherwise designated, the patient is considered responsible for any balances not paid by insurance carriers, including co-pays, deductibles and non-covered services. It is the responsibility of the patient, if required by their insurance carrier, to obtain pre-certification or referral (HMO's, Tricare Prime, etc) prior to visiting University Health Services. Questions concerning benefits must be directed to your insurance company.
Patients with an account balance greater than 90 days past due will have the balance placed on their Samford e-bill.
Samford University is pleased to offer an Injury and Sickness Insurance Plan underwritten by UnitedHealthcare Insurance Company for students who are required to show proof of insurance.Students eligible for this coverage include undergraduate and graduate students in the College of Health Sciences and international students. The College of Health Sciences includes programs in athletic training, communication sciences and disorders, health sciences, nursing, nutrition, pharmacy, physical therapy, public health, speech language pathology and more. See a full list here.
*For questions regarding student insurance, contact Jim Clement, director of risk management and insurance, 205-726-2395.
Effective 3/15/2016, there will be a $25 fee for missed appointments not canceled at least one hour prior.
Due to limited appointment availability each day, it is important that if you schedule an appointment please make every effort to keep it.
In case of life-threatening injuries or illness, or if an individual is not responsive:
- On/off campus call 911
- Be prepared to say exactly where you are
- Keep the victim calm
To obtain medical care, use a local emergency department:
St. Vincent's Hospital
806 St. Vincent's Drive
Birmingham, AL 35205
Although the conditions below may not be life-threatening, have a medical evaluation as soon as possible if you experience any of them. When University Health Services is open, call 205-726-2835 to let them know you are coming.
For other urgent issues on campus, please call Public Safety at 205-726-2020
Examples of urgent conditions include:
- Significant pain (e.g. in the chest, abdomen, head or ear, especially with fever)
- Asthma (when not responding to usual medication)
- Urinary infection
- Possible fracture or dislocation
- Any injury with significant pain or swelling
- Minor cuts
- Major bee sting reaction—hives, wheezing or swelling (e.g. whole arm or leg swells)
If you make an appointment, you are likely to be seen sooner. Call 205-726-2835 for an appointment.
Examples of non-emergencies include:
- Bruises/abrasions (scrapes)
- Minor burns
- Sore throats/cough