November 22, 2010
As I was leaving Davis Library one afternoon last week, a young lady (a freshman) stopped me to say how much she has enjoyed this semester at Samford. We exchanged comments for a couple of minutes, then I asked, “So, where are you headed?” She explained to me that she was on her way to the office of one of her faculty members to receive a “progress report,” so that she could best know how to prepare for the final weeks of the semester. “I can’t imagine having this level of interaction with faculty anywhere else,” she said. Because we were in the library, I had to resist the temptation to shout an enthusiastic reply.
The world is better because Samford people go the extra mile.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.