October 10, 2011
Perhaps you've never heard of the legendary trial advocacy success of the Cumberland School of Law. Read on.
Last week a Cumberland team won the National Trial Advocacy Competition hosted by the Michigan State University School of Law. There were 27 teams entered in the competition. The Cumberland team defeated teams from the University of Maryland in the quarter-finals, the University of Houston in the semi-finals and the University of Florida in the finals. The team members were Drew Haskins (Chattanooga, TN), Brittany Stancombe (Clarksville, TN), Sam Nicolle (Hazel Green, AL) and Patrick Hinchey (Savannah, GA). The team was coached by Sara Williams ('06) who was an award-winning national trial team member during her student days. She currently practices with the Carr Allison firm.
The world is better because of the competence of Cumberland students and graduates.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.