Saturday May 18 Graduates
May 15-17, 2013
Appropriate Dress for Graduates:
- Ladies are asked to wear an appropriate ‘Sunday’ dress with comfortable dress shoes.
- Men are asked to wear dark dress shirt and tie. Please wear black, brown, or navy blue shoes that match your pants.
- Pick up your cap and gown from the Bookstore in the University Center.
- Only appropriately approved Honor Cords and Honor Medallions will be allowed at Commencement, including officially recognized cords and medallions of local chapters of national honor societies.
Saturday, May 18, 2013, 9:00 a.m.
Graduates arrive at the Pete Hanna Center
- RECEIVE YOUR AUTHORIZATION CARD: Enter the Pete Hanna Center at the east entrance, second level by Joe Lee Griffin Field. Only graduates should enter the arena from this entrance. There will be signs outside and inside the Center for direction. Please go to the second level, corner concession stand to receive your authorization card. Authorization cards will be checked several times. Keep it with you at all times. After receiving your authorization card, go to the lower level. Numbers on blue and red posters indicate where you should line up. The blue (left) line forms on the outer wall of the left side of corridor as you face the stage. The red (right) line forms on the inner wall of the right side of corridor as you face the stage. The blue or red circle on your authorization card indicates your line and the number in the circle indicates your place in line.
- Do not write on the side of the card that has your name on it. The reverse side of the authorization card is to be completed for ZAP Foto so that complimentary proofs of your graduation pictures can be e-mailed to you. Please contact ZAP Foto at (205) 345-2686 if you have questions. Brennan Productions & Custom Video Labs will make a video and DVD of Commencement. If you want to purchase a copy of either, contact the company at (205) 823-0088. For those schools having photographs of separate hooding or group events, please contact Caroline Summers at email@example.com to purchase the pictures. Family and friends will not be permitted to photograph or video tape during the ceremony.
- Please do not bring cameras, purses, etc. to Commencement as you will not be able to keep them with you. No one will be available to watch your personal items during Commencement. Silence watches, pagers, phones, etc. before leaving the recital hall.
Family and Friends: Parking for the event will be in designated areas. Handicapped parking will be available in the west parking lot adjacent to the Pete Hanna Center. Public Safety will assist in directing traffic to/from these areas. The Hanna Center doors will open for family and friends at 9:00 a.m.
- You will be led into the arena by Faculty Marshals. Please note that AUTHORIZATION CARDS will be checked several times. Please show the front side of your authorization card to the Faculty Marshal as you are being seated. Fill in all seats and remain standing for the invocation.
- MORTARBOARDS are to be worn during the processional with the tassel on the right side due to the taping and photographing of the ceremony. Leave the tassel on the right side at all times, even after receiving your degree. Gentlemen, remove your mortarboard for the invocation and leave it off until the conferring of degrees. Everyone will wear the mortarboard during the processional, receipt of your degree from President Westmoreland and recessional.
- At the time for CONFERRING OF DEGREES you will hear: "Will the candidates for all degrees please rise." You will then be presented to the President who will confer the degree upon you.
- When the President instructs, a Faculty Marshal will lead the first two rows backstage to the platform. All other rows will remain seated. At the platform, give your AUTHORIZATION CARD to the Dean. Do not go back to your seat if you have forgotten your card. Please let one of the Staff Marshals know. They will be assisting the graduates in the line-up area. Pause next to the podium by the Dean and wait until your name is called in its entirety before moving forward to receive your diploma from the President. You will receive hoods at stage right and then be directed back to your seat. A Faculty Marshal will motion for the next two rows to stand continuing the process until all degrees are awarded. The recessional will be on the opposite aisle of the processional and be led by a Faculty Marshal to the exit. Please remain outside the arena until all graduates and faculty have recessed.
Family and Friends
- We respectfully request that flash photos, and videotaping of the ceremony not be performed (see above).
- We also respectfully request their cooperation in making this a memorable day for all graduates and their families by silencing all watches, pagers, phones etc. during the ceremony, and to hold their applause and other congratulatory noises until all graduates have received their diplomas. We sincerely want each graduate to be recognized with decorum, dignity, and respect. We ask instead for your family and friends to honor you to stand when your name is called and you cross the stage.
Please return your cap and gown to the 2nd level, corner concession stand before 1:30.
- You may keep the tassel. Then celebrate!