Steps to Graduation (May 2013)
For a PDF of the Steps to Graduation for May 2013, click here.
Please note that some dates are different depending on the school from which you are graduating.
- Ensure that you will have completed all requirements for graduation by the end of the semester. If you have not already done so, immediately check the list of graduation candidates and contact the Student Records Office if you note an error concerning your intention to graduate this semester. If your name is missing and you think it should be there, it may simply mean that your advisor has not submitted your final degree check to the Student Records Office, in which case, you should contact your advisor first.
- Beginning with the first day of classes, you may purchase thank-you notes and souvenir announcement covers in the Samford Bookstore.
- There will be a graduation fair – Bulldog Blastoff! – in the Pete Hanna Center on Thursday, March 28 between 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. During this time, you may order announcements, rings, and be measured for your cap and gown.
If you are unable to attend the Bulldog Blastoff!,you may get measured for your cap and gown in the Samford Bookstore no later than Friday, April 5 at 4:00 p.m. You may avoid lines by going there sooner and not waiting until the deadline day. After the fair date, please contact Balfour at 1-877-225-3687 or at www.balfour.com if you need to order announcements.
- While we wish all graduates to be present for the Commencement Ceremony, there may be extenuating circumstances that prevent you from joining us. If this applies to you, please submit a letter to the Registrar, by Friday, April 12, documenting the reason you would like to be excused from Commencement.
- Divinity Students Only: On May 6 or 8 (Monday or Wednesday), go to the Samford Bookstore to pick up your cap and gown between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Note: Divinity students will also be allowed to pick up caps and gowns on Wednesday morning, just prior to their ceremony. (Exact times subject to change).
- All Other Students: On May 15, 16 or 17 (Wednesday through Friday), go to the Samford Bookstore to pick up your cap and gown between 10:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. (May 15), 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. (May 16), or 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. (May 17)..
- Divinity Students: Your Commencement Ceremony will be on Wednesday, May 8, at 11:00 a.m., as part of the Consecration Service. Check with the Divinity School for instructions.
- Pharmacy Students: Your Commencement Ceremony will be on Friday, May 17, at 10:00 a.m. in the Wright Center. Check with the Pharmacy School for instructions.
- Business Students: Your Commencement Ceremony will be on Friday, May 17, at 1:00 p.m. in the Wright Center. Check with the Business School for further instructions.
- Nursing Students: Your Commencement Ceremony will be on Friday, May 17, at 3:30 p.m. in the Wright Center. Check with the Nursing School for instructions.
- Law Students: Your Commencement Ceremony will be on Friday, May 17, at 6:00 p.m. in the Wright Center. Beginning at 5:20 p.m., Law Students should assemble in the Brock Recital Hall--in cap and gown--in preparation for lining up in the corridors and processing into the Wright Center. Check with the Law School for further instructions.
- A Graduation Prayer Breakfast will be held on Friday, May 17, at 8:00 a.m. in the University Cafeteria.
- For the Commencement Ceremony on Saturday, May 18, Arts and Sciences, Education and Professional Studies, and School of the Arts candidates report to the concession booth on the second floor in the Hanna Center by 9:00 a.m. with cap and gown to receive your name card. Then line up in the corridors on the first floor to get in correct position for the academic procession. Only faculty and graduates should gather in the corridors on the first floor. You may pose for photos with family and friends before reporting to the staging area. Please do not bring purses, cameras, etc., with you. You will NOT be able to carry such items with you as you process into the Corts Arena and there will be no one to watch your personal items. Commencement should last approximately one and one-half to two hours. Return your caps and gowns to the concession stand following the ceremony.
- All participants in Friday ceremonies should return caps and gowns to the Bookstore as soon as possible after your Commencement.
- Arrangements have been made with Zap Photo for a professional photographer to take pictures of the graduates receiving their degrees. The photographer will contact the graduates after commencement at their home addresses. Please contact them at (205) 345-2686 if you have any questions. Brennan Productions & Custom Video Labs will make a video of Commencement. If you would like to purchase a copy of this video, in either VHS or DVD format, you may contact them directly at (205) 823-0088.
If you have any remaining questions about graduation, please contact the Student Records Office and let us help you.