English Proficiency Requirements
English courses are available for graduate students through the English Language Learner Institute (ELLI). Directly admitted students are required to take a business tutoring course through ELLI in their first semester and any subsequent semester they are not in good standing. Conditionally admitted students must complete the ELLI program before being admitted to the business school. For details about the ELLI program, see the ELLI website.
A student must meet both of the following requirements to be admitted directly to the business school:
- A GMAT verbal score above the 20th percentile
- A score of 90 on the iBT TOEFL with at least a 20 on each sub-sector a score of 7.0 on the IELTS
Applicants who do not meet these minimum requirements, may be offered admission to the ELLI program. Conditionally admitted students will be assessed orally for English proficiency and placement by means of a Skype interview prior to arrival. If technical difficulties make it impossible to complete the Skype interview prior to arrival, students will be assessed upon arriving at Samford University. After assessment, the ELLI will place students in the appropriate English courses. Students will have from 1 - 4 semesters to complete the ELLI program, depending on initial placement.
English courses are offered in the following subjects:
- Academic Writing [Levels 1 - 4]
- Speaking and Listening [Levels 1 - 4]
- Grammar [Levels 1 - 4]
- Reading [Levels 1 - 4]
- Content Tutoring based on degree program will be required for students in their first semester of the graduate program and any subsequent semester they are not in good standing.
Completing ELLI Course Requirements
At the end of each semester, ELLI students will take an assessment test to determine the current level of English proficiency for future course placement.
Students wishing to exit the ELLI program will be assessed at midterm of the semester prior to exiting the program. At that point, students must meet the following requirements:
· Students must be in Level 4 on all areas of assessment (Grammar, Listening, Writing, Speaking)
· a score of 80% or above in all ESL classes
· fewer than 3 unexcused absences
· a writing sample and interview approved by ESL instructors
Each conditionally admitted student must take ELLI courses until meeting the above requirements. Students will have 1 - 4 semesters to complete these requirements. Once a student completes the above requirements, they will exit the ELLI program and begin their academic program at Samford University.