Filelocker is a web based secure file sharing application that facilitates easy, temporary file sharing between users at an organization and promotes secure data sharing habits.
- Upload and share files with users at your organization.
- Request files from public users. With Filelocker, you can send an invite to an external user with which they can securely upload a file that is stored securely, available for you to retrieve.
- Send encrypted messages securely.
- Audit user activity.
- Implements AES-256 encryption on uploaded files and messages.
- Temporary: Files stored on the Filelocker server are automatically removed in 7 days.
- The maximum size of a single file is 4,812 megabytes.
- The maximum storage available to a user is 750 megabytes.
- Use the help files available in using the product. Some things are not necessarily obvious. For example, if you password protect a file, you should provide the password to recipients via a separate means, such as a telephone call, or separate secure message.
Filelocker at Samford University is available here.
Filelocker is an open source program, available without charge.
Filelocker was developed by IT Networks and Security at Purdue University for the purpose of allowing students and faculty to share files with other people both inside and outside of Purdue University. It is a temporary and secure storage system for sharing files and data. More than 20universities worldwide are using Filelocker for HIPAA and FERPA compliant data sharing.