Allen Howell is the assistant dean of external relations and career development. Dean Howell is responsible for overseeing Cumberland’s admission, development, alumni, career development, and marketing and communications departments. Additionally, Dean Howell co-teaches Called to the Bar, a course designed to prepare first-year law students for the legal profession. Howell is interested in legal careers and helping law students reach their goals by becoming better leaders and professionals.
Prior to this position, Dean Howell served as the law school's interim director of operations and director of career development. After law school, Dean Howell practiced law with the law firm of Pinkston and Courtney near Montgomery, Alabama before becoming the Director of Career Services and Public Interest at Faulkner University’s Thomas Goode Jones School of Law. Dean Howell has spoken at multiple conferences on legal hiring.
He lives in the Oak Mountain area of Birmingham with his wife, Angela and two daughters. Dean Howell and his family are members of St. Stephens Episcopal Church in Cahaba Heights.
Degrees and Certifications
- Samford University, M.S.Ed
- Faulkner University, Thomas Goode Jones School of Law, J.D.
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, B.A.
- Alabama State Bar
- Alabama State Bar’s Pro Bono Task Force
- Alabama State Bar’s Pro Bono and Public Interest Committee
- Alabama State Bar’s Future of the Legal Profession Committee
- Alabama State Bar’s Senior and Young Lawyer Task Force
- Alabama State Bar Leadership Forum, Class 11
- American Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar
- Birmingham Bar, Leadership Forum
- Judge James Edwin Horton Inn of Court
- Judge Hugh Maddox Inn of Court
- National Association for Legal Career Professionals (NALP)
- Birmingham Legal Hiring City Group
- Alternative Dispute Resolution, Thomas Goode Jones School of Law
- MBTI, Step I and Step II