Cumberland School of Law’s Master of Laws (LL.M.) is a 31-hour master's degree program offered completely online. Designed for professionals who have previously earned a Juris Doctor (J.D.), the program will help position you for advancement in your current field or it can help set you apart for a new career path. Our faculty are industry experts, practicing attorneys, Cumberland School of Law faculty and Samford University faculty from other disciplines.
Our program prepares students for professional careers through real-world courses and training and encourages graduates to pursue relevant professional credentials from industry-leading organizations. Students are empowered to communicate and interact effectively with attorneys, compliance professionals, and other members of the legal community, while developing core competencies in a specialized field of study which are necessary for professional success.
Upon completion of this program, students will be equipped to:
- Utilize legal databases to access the primary sources of law in the United States: statutes, regulations and court decisions.
- Analyze key issues in policy and compliance from ethical, legal and economic perspectives.
- Interpret and evaluate cost effectiveness and outcomes used in decision making.
- Communicate complex ideas, orally and in writing, using legal and industry-specific terminology.
All applicants must complete and submit an application. All materials must be submitted through the online system which includes detailed instructions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to log into his or her application to confirm that all required materials have been received. Official transcripts must be submitted directly from the awarding institution to:
Cumberland School of Law
800 Lakeshore Drive
Birmingham Alabama, 35229
ATTN: Grad Law.
Please allow ample time for transcript orders to be processed.
- Submit a transcript indicating the award of a Juris Doctor or be currently enrolled as a Juris Doctor student at Cumberland School of Law
- One letter of recommendation from a former faculty member or professional colleague
- Personal statement indicating career plans and likelihood of success in graduate study
- Professional resume
- Application Open – Nov. 1, 2021
- Application Deadline for Fall 2022 Admission - July 15, 2022
- Deadline for FAFSA - Aug. 10, 2022
- Fall 2022 Term Begins - Aug. 29, 2022
Tuition and Fees, Financial Aid
|Distance Learning Fee||$100 per course x 10 courses|
|Technology Fee||$175 per term (fall and spring only) x 4 terms|
|Total Approximate Cost||$30,497|
***On average, there is a 3% tuition increase each academic year.
For information about financial aid, please visit the Office of Financial Aid online or call their office at 205-726-2905 or 1-800-888-7245.