The vision of the CSDS department strongly supports Samford University’s mission and core values and the College of Health Sciences’ mission and values to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood as they are engaged in practice, leadership, scholarship, and service to the profession.
The department will incorporate academic and clinical education to provide students quality experiences that will challenge them to scientifically question and discover matters related to the field of speech-language pathology and audiology. Students will be prepared to combine the art and science of the professions for a diverse workplace environment and will hold to the highest of ethical standards when providing care for persons with varied communicative and swallowing disorders.
The mission of the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders at Samford University is to prepare highly qualified speech-language pathologists through faith- based academic coursework and clinical placements designed to foster lifelong learning, attainment of personal career goals and high moral and ethical competency so that these practitioners will be of service to others in their community and throughout the world.
Strategic Focus Areas
- I. Student Recruitment
- II. Faculty/Staff Recruitment
- III. Commitment to excellent and innovative academic and clinical programming
- IV. Student service opportunities
Issues & Goals
Goal I: Student recruitment
The Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders will recruit students who excel in academics, have a service oriented global perspective, and potential for leadership within their community.
Objectives to support student recruitment
- Objective 1.1 - Create marketing/recruiting material/website that is attractive and technologically savvy for students
- Objective 1.2 - Recruit students from all undergraduate programs across the state, region, and nation
- Objective 1.3 - Admit students with varying degrees of diversity to support the University/Department mission
- Objective 1.4 - Identify university funding sources for scholarships and establish departmental funding sources
Goal II: Faculty/staff recruitment
The Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders will recruit faculty and staff who exhibit combined excellence in teaching, student recruitment, and demonstrable scholarship and service to the department, university, and community at large.
Objectives to support faculty/staff recruitment
- Objective 2.1 - Create advertisements/web-based information for recruitment that are attractive to faculty who exhibit strong teaching abilities as well as a commitment to scholarship and service
- Objective 2.2 - Recruit doctoral level faculty at the state and national level
- Objective 2.3 - Recruit professional clinical staff at the state and national level
- Objective 2.4 - Promote teaching/technical support for faculty in distance education courses whereby they can focus on quality interactions with students
- Objective 2.5 - Provide financial support for faculty/staff travel in order to maintain currency in specialty areas of interest
Goal III: Commitment to excellent and innovative academic and clinical programming
The Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders will endeavor to provide and maintain a culture of excellence, caring, and freedom to question responsibly varying concepts within the field of speech-language pathology and audiology.
Objectives to support excellence and innovation with academic and clinical programming
- Objective 3.1 - Establish interdisciplinary courses to meet the needs of the ever-changing health care environment
- Objective 3.2 - Build a strong connection between academic coursework and clinical practicum experience by bridging concepts of theory, evidence-based practice and outcome-based measures.
- Objective 3.3 - Encourage and promote communication and integration between the CSDS department and the clinical sites/supervisors.
- Objective 3.4 - Provide opportunities for students to engage in applied research which could lead to professional presentations
- Objective 3.5 - Encourage student involvement in the participation of local, state, and national conferences
Goal IV: Student service opportunities
The Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders will promote service learning for all students recognizing that there are opportunities for needs to be met within a global society.
Objectives to support student service opportunities
- Objective 4.1 - Promote and provide ways for students to engage in service learning opportunities within their community, state,country, and international experiences
- Objective 4.2 - Encourage students to be aware of service opportunities within ASHA and CAPCSD’s global initiatives
- Objective 4.3 - Provide opportunities for students to mentor others in service to individuals with communication and swallowing disorders