Karen Flynn joined Samford University in 2014 as an Associate Professor in the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders. Dr. Flynn holds a Doctor of Education in Special Education, as well as a clinical Master of Arts in Speech-Language-Pathology. In addition, Dr. Flynn is an American Speech-Language-Hearing Association certified Speech-Language Pathologist. Her primary areas of interest are child language development and disorders and neuro-progressive disorders. Dr. Flynn also provides speech-language pathology services to the University of Alabama at Birmingham Huntington’s Disease Center of Excellence.
Degrees and Certifications
- EdD, special education, Ball State University
- MS, speech pathology, Ball State University
- BS, speech pathology and audiology, Ball State University
- Child language
- Child language disorders
- Neuro-progressive disorders
- Huntington’s Disease patient population
- Introduction to Communication Sciences and Disorders (undergraduate)
- Language Development in Children (undergraduate)
- Language Disorders in Children (undergraduate)
- Language Disorders: Birth to Five (graduate)
- Language Disorders: School Age (graduate)
- Prevention and Diagnosis of Speech, Language, and Cognitive Disorders (graduate)
- Cognitive-Communication Disorders in Adults (graduate)
- Day, L. & Flynn, K. (2022). Educating communication sciences and disorders students to use evidence-based practice literature: A collaboration between a library liaison and a CSD professor. College & Undergraduate Libraries, 29 (3/4).
- Thatcher, K. (2019). 20Q: Incorporating Literacy into Early Intervention, Preschool & Home. SpeechPathology.com, Article 20138.
- Thatcher, K. (2017). Fun with literacy. 100s of Activities, Exercises, and Tips for the Classroom & Therapy (Birth-Preschool). PESI Publishing, Eau Claire, Wisconsin.
- Day, L. & Flynn, K. (2023). Teaching Communication Sciences and Disorders Students Evidence-based Practice Access and Utilization: A Library Liaison and CSD Professor Collaboration. Poster presentation at the 2023 Joint South Central and Southern Chapter of the Medical Library Association meeting. New Orleans, LA.
- Flynn, K. (2022). Communication and Swallowing in Patients with Huntington’s Disease. Invited speaker to Facing the Future Together: 1St Annual Huntington Disease Africa Conference 2022. September 2022.