Prior to coming to Samford, Carol Koch served as the Director of Hearing and Speech at Children’s Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, MO. Prior to that appointment, she was an associate professor for the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders at Rockhurst University for nine years. Her clinical, teaching, and research interests include: pediatric speech sound acquisition and speech sound disorders, assessment and intervention for children diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder, family and sibling experiences with a child who has special needs, early intervention, trauma-informed care, and clinical education/supervision. She has recently published a textbook on assessment and intervention for pediatric speech sound disorders. Koch enjoys traveling, photography, reading, and scuba diving. She is also an active member of her faith community.
Degrees and Certifications
- Ed.D., Nova Southeastern University
- M.A., communication sciences and disorders, Central Michigan University
- B.S., communication sciences and disorders, Central Michigan University
- Certificate of Clinical Competence, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- Pediatric communication and feeding disorders, especially in the areas of:
- Speech sound disorders
- Childhood apraxia of speech
- Autism spectrum disorder
- Koch, C. (2019). Clinical Management of Speech Sound Disorders: Case-based Approach. Jones & Bartlett Learning, Burlington, MA.
- Koch, C. (2019). 20Q: Speech sound disorders: “Old” and “new” tools. SpeechPathology.com.
- Hart, P., & Koch, C. (2018). Interprofessional Care of High-Risk Infants in C.R. Thompson (Ed.). Pediatric Therapy: An Interprofessional Framework for Practice. Thorofare, NJ: Slack, Inc.
- Thatcher, K., Koch, C., & Johnson, M. (2018). Constructing professionalism: A developmental progression towards a standard of excellence. A poster presentation for the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Annual Convention, Boston, MA.
- Koch, C., Thatcher, K., & Johnson, M. (2018). Professionalism: A Key Component in Academics, Service, and Scholarship. A poster presentation for the Samford University Teaching and Learning Mini-Conference.
- Koch, C. (2017). A View to the Future. A 1-hour podium presentation for the CEU Conference at Samford University. Invited presentation.
- Koch, C. (2017). The Contrast Approaches for Children with Speech Sound Disorders. A 1-hour podium presentation at the American Speech-Language Hearing Association Annual Convention, Los Angeles, CA.
- Koch, C. (2017). The Contrast Approaches for Children with Speech Sound Disorders. A 2-hour podium presentation at the Madison City Schools Professional Development Day. Invited presentation.
- Koch, C. (2017). Millennials, Meet Your Mentors. A 1-hour podium presentation at the Missouri Speech-Language-Hearing Associate Annual Convention. Invited presentation.
- Koch, C. (2017). Talking About My Generation? A 90-minute podium presentation at the Speech and Hearing Association of Alabama Annual Convention. Invited Presentation.
- Koch, C. (2017). Beyond the Basics: Interventions for Speech Sound Disorders. A 2-hour podium presentation at the Speech and Hearing Association of Alabama Annual Convention. Invited Presentation.
- Koch, C. & Thatcher, K. (2017). Integrating faith into pre-professional training programs. A 2-hour podium presentation at the Health and Human Flourishing: Multidisciplinary Perspectives Conference, Lithuania.
- Koch, C. (2017). Challenging behavior and communication in Autism. A 2-hour podium presentation at Mission India: A Training Workshop on Comprehensive Childhood Disability Management at Pushpagiri Medical College, Tiruvalla, Kerala, India.
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- Student to Empowered Professional (STEP) Program Mentor
- Leadership Development Program: 2014
- Special Interest Group 1: Language Learning and Education
- Special Interest Group 10: Issues in Higher Education
- Coordinating Committee, 2017-2020
- Special Interest Group 11: Administration and Supervision
- Editorial Review Board, 2016-2018
- Speech and Hearing Association of Alabama, Treasurer: 2017-2020
- Member of Our Lady of the Valley Catholic Church
Awards and Honors
- ASHA Award for Continuing Education (ACE)
- Excellence in Student Mentoring Award, Samford University School of Health Professions, 2017-2018