Prior to joining Samford as the director of clinical education in the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, Laura Promer provided diagnosis and treatment of language, reading, writing and related disorders to children and adolescents in a private clinic setting.
Promer’s career began at the Roosevelt Institute in Warm Springs, Georgia where she completed her clinical fellowship training. She later served patients in acute care and rehabilitation settings at Trinity Medical Center and UAB Hospital in Birmingham, Alabama. Promer founded Communication and Reading Therapies in 2001.
Promer received training in multisensory reading evaluation and instruction at the Chrysalis Academy in Atlanta, Georgia and she’s also received training in Lindamood Bell and Wilson Language reading programs. Promer became an Associate in the Academy of Orton Gillingham Practitioners in 2003 and she has completed course work toward the Educational Specialist master’s degree in Instructional Leadership at Samford University.
Promer and her husband, Scott, a mechanical engineer, live in Vestavia and have three children. They are active members of Our Lady of Sorrows Catholic Church where she serves as a First Light Shelter liaison.
Degrees and Certifications
- M.S., communication disorders, University of Alabama
- B.S., education, University of Tennessee Knoxville
- Associate, Academy of Orton Gillingham Practitioners and Educators
Awards and Honors
- Nominated for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award – School of Health Professions, 2018
- Outstanding Student Organization Advisor, 2017
- Student gifts to Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders Fund in honor of Laura Promer, 2017
- Promer, L., Hudson, K., Chatman, K., Ray-Allen, M., Phillips-Ross, E., Zylla-Jones, E., & Cheslock, M. (2019, February). SLP Clinical Supervisor Training. Speech and Hearing Association of Alabama Annual Conference, Birmingham, AL.
- Promer, L., Bradley, J., & Stanley, A. (2017, February). Bilingual Assessment in School-Age Clients. Speech and Hearing Association of Alabama Annual Conference, Birmingham, AL.
- Promer, L. & Bagby, K. (2015, September). 21st Century Training for the UG Student: It’s Different. Southeastern University Clinical Educators Annual Conference, Baton Rouge, LA.
- Alabama Dyslexia Association, board of directors, past-treasurer
- American Speech-Language Hearing Association
- Speech and Hearing Association of Alabama
- Samford University Legacy League
- International Dyslexia Association, provider