Laura joined the department of Communication Sciences and Disorders as the Director of Undergraduate Studies in 2014. Laura received her undergraduate training at the University of Tennessee-Knoxville and attended graduate school at the University of Alabama. She completed her clinical fellowship at the Roosevelt Institute in Warm Springs, GA. In the early years of her career, she provided services to patients in acute care and rehabilitation settings at Trinity Medical Center and UAB. She is an Associate in the Academy of Orton Gillingham Practitioners and Educators and is a certified Structured Literacy Dyslexia Interventionist (SLDI) through the International Dyslexia Association. She founded Communication and Reading Therapies in 2001 where she evaluates and treats language, reading, writing and related disorders to children and adults. Laura lives in Vestavia with her husband, Scott and their three children Grace, Clare, and Brennan.
Degrees and Certifications
- M.S., communication disorders, University of Alabama
- B.S., education, University of Tennessee Knoxville
- Associate, Academy of Orton Gillingham Practitioners and Educators
Awards and Honors
- Nominated for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching Award – School of Health Professions, 2018
- Outstanding Student Organization Advisor, 2017
- Student gifts to Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders Fund in honor of Laura Promer, 2017
- Promer, L., Hudson, K., Chatman, K., Ray-Allen, M., Phillips-Ross, E., Zylla-Jones, E., & Cheslock, M. (2019, February). SLP Clinical Supervisor Training. Speech and Hearing Association of Alabama Annual Conference, Birmingham, AL.
- Promer, L., Bradley, J., & Stanley, A. (2017, February). Bilingual Assessment in School-Age Clients. Speech and Hearing Association of Alabama Annual Conference, Birmingham, AL.
- Promer, L. & Bagby, K. (2015, September). 21st Century Training for the UG Student: It’s Different. Southeastern University Clinical Educators Annual Conference, Baton Rouge, LA.
- Alabama Dyslexia Association, board of directors, past-treasurer
- American Speech-Language Hearing Association
- Speech and Hearing Association of Alabama
- Samford University Legacy League
- International Dyslexia Association, provider