- For prerequisite courses taken during the spring 2020 semester, pass/fail grading will be accepted.
- Prerequisite courses taken online during the spring and summer 2020 semesters will be accepted.
- Completion of the GRE test for the 2020 admission season is still required. The GRE is currently being administered online.
- For the 2020-2021 application cycle only, observation hours are recommended but not required.
The highest level of preparation to answer your calling
For those interested in the deepest grounding in the science of physical therapy, the Doctor of Physical Therapy is the most intensive study of our profession available. Samford's Doctor of Physical Therapy is a three-year program with a heavy emphasis on the sciences. You will develop the foundation you need to make effective evidence-based decisions for your patients.
Your time in the program will feature intensive clinical work, putting into practice the technical knowledge you develop through your academic study. The program is defined by three traits:
- You will learn and work as part of a team. Health care, today, is increasingly delivered by teams of professionals from many different disciplines working in collaboration. This is how you will learn at Samford. You will work in collaboration with people from a variety of programs.
- You will use the most advanced technology. Lectures, labs and clinical experiences will utilize apps for education and support while providing care. You'll leave our program prepared to use current and developing technologies to work with your patients in your professional environment.
- Service is central to everything we do. We believe that we are all called to serve, to use our skills and knowledge to make the lives of people better. You will have the opportunity to participate in service projects in communities at home and around the world.
Our mission is to nurture and prepare doctors of physical therapy in a Christian environment, who are providers of evidence-based physical therapy practice, engage in ethical decision making, promote health and wellness, and serve their profession and society, in the pursuit of excellence.
The Doctor of Physical Therapy program at Samford University is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22314; telephone: 703-706-3245; email: email@example.com; website: http://www.capteonline.org. If needing to contact the program/institution directly, please call 205-726-4435 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Doctor of Physical Therapy Admission:
PTCAS Application Opens: June 17, 2020
Application Deadline: October 1, 2020
Entry Month: May, 2021
The steps below outline the application process for the Doctor of Physical Therapy program. To apply, you are required to submit both an application through PTCAS www.ptcas.org as well as a Physical Therapy Supplemental Form. The link to the Supplemental Form will be e-mailed to you within 48 hours of submission of your application. Before starting these applications, we recommend that you complete the following checklist:
- Obtain student copies of your college transcripts to assist you in completing the coursework section for the application.
- Print the instruction manual located under “Quick Links” found at www.ptcas.org.
- Create an application account at www.ptcas.org. PTCAS simplifies the process of applying to all physical therapy programs. Compete one application and send it along with other information to our centralized service. The PTCAS organization will verify your application for accuracy, calculate your GPA and send your materials to the Doctor of Physical Therapy admissions department at Samford University.
- Request official transcripts from each institution attended by using the transcript request form in PTCAS. http://www.ptcas.org/Transcripts/USTranscripts/
- Complete the form, submit it to the registrar's office of each institution attended and instruct them to enclose the form with your official sealed transcript. Transcripts must be sent to the PTCAS Transcript Department:
PTCAS Transcript Processing Center
P.O. Box 9112
Watertown, MA 02471
PTCAS accepts official transcripts sent directly from the registrar's office only. Please send transcripts as early as possible and no less than four to six weeks before the application deadline due to the time needed by PTCAS to verify your application.
- Pay the initial service fee of $140 when submitting the PTCAS application.
- Obtain three letters of recommendation from 1) current or previous professor; 2) supervisor; and 3) physical therapist. These letters of recommendation will be submitted through PTCAS. The references should attest to the applicant's academic ability and potential.
- Please fill out ALL sections of the application.
Submit official test scores to Samford University - Code: 1688.
For more information about admission to Samford University's Department of Physical Therapy, please contact:
Marian Carter, Ed.D.
Assistant Dean for Enrollment Management and Student Services
Admission to the Doctor of Physical Therapy program is competitive. Admission requirements include:
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college or university (degree in any field) or be in the senior year of undergraduate study. A completed bachelor’s degree is required prior to enrollment, as evidenced by a final official college/university transcript. You may receive conditional acceptance with a letter from your registrar stating you have, in fact, completed the requirements for the degree. The “conditional” status is removed once we receive your official transcript.
- Cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- “B” or better in all prerequisite courses from a regionally accredited college or university. All prerequisite courses must have been completed within 10 years prior to application. Required prerequisite courses include:
- Biology I & II with labs
- Chemistry I & II with labs
- Physics I & II with labs
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I & II with labs
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) within the past 5 years with preferred minimum scores of:
- Combined Score: 297
- Analytical: 4.0
- Submit Scores to PTCAS, Samford Code: 1688
- Ten hours of documented volunteer experience in each of three different physical therapy practice settings (30 hours total)
- The program likes to see applicants spend at least a day and a half (10 hours) in three different settings, observing diverse patient populations (total = 30 hours +). An example of this would be three half days in a children’s hospital outpatient center, one and a half days in a skilled nursing facility; one long day with a physical therapist seeing patients with sports injuries in the clinic, then also on the athletic field later in the evening. The goal of these 30 hours should be to observe the most different practice settings so that the applicant can reflect on the different roles a physical therapist can serve.
- Three letters of reference submitted through the application system. The three required references should be from 1) current or previous professor, 2) work supervisor and 3) a licensed physical therapist.
- International applicants, American citizens or permanent residents who learned English as a second language must score at least 575 (paper) or 90 (internet) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or a score of 6.5 on IELTS.
- Participate in an in-person interview.
Upon acceptance, a non-refundable fee of $1,000 is required to secure admission into the program. This fee is applied to the first semester's tuition.
Exceptions to any admission requirements will be handled on an individual basis.
Students and applicants who seek accommodations must make a request by contacting the Section 504/Disability Access and Accommodation Coordinator, 205-726-4078 or email@example.com.
Our graduates are prepared
Our two year licensure exam ultimate pass rate is 98%.
Also, between 2018 and 2019, 98% of our graduating classes were employed within six months of graduation.
Plan of Study
Tuition & Fees
Doctor of Physical Therapy tuition, per semester - $11,486
Application fee - $135
Campus life fee, per semester - $25
Technology fee, per semester - $175