Amy Cameron comes to Samford from a seven-year career at Children’s of Alabama. She has worked with patients as a clinical nutritionist and in staff development as the unit educator for nutrition and lactation. Cameron served as adjunct faculty for the Pediatric Simulation Center: co-teaching a monthly simulation for pediatric residents and medical students. Cameron spent much of her time at Children’s working with dietetic interns and has a passion for teaching and training the next generation of dietitians to serve their communities with the strengths God has given them. Cameron enjoys exploring Birmingham and traveling with her husband Derek, daughter Emma, and dog Frodo.
Degrees and Certificates
- Master of Science, Clinical Nutrition, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Dietetic Internship, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Bachelor of Science, Nutritional Sciences, Texas A&M University
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Alabama Dietetics Association
- Simulation Education
- Staff Training and Development
- Publication in progress: Care of the Neonate to Adolescent with Kidney Disease. Core curriculum for nephrology nursing (7th ed.). Pitman, New Jersey: American Nephrology Nurses’ Association. (anticipated 2019).
- Abstract: Talathi, S., Cameron, A, Nogueira, J., Kassel, R.Late-onset Chylous ascites after Kasai portoenterostomy. University of Alabama at Birmingham; Birmingham, AL, December 2017.
- Teske, S., Peterson, D., Morse, A., Hardy, L., Youngblood, A., & Tofil, N. (2015). Utilizing High-Fidelity Simulation to Teach Pediatric Residents Clinical Nutrition: A Curricular Change Guided by a Needs Assessment. ICAN: Infant, Child, & Adolescent Nutrition, 7(6), 367-374.
- “Healthy Lifestyle Post-Transplant,” Camp BRIDGES Young Adult Camp, Teen Camp, and Family Camp, June 2018, Children's Harbor at Lake Martin, Alexander City, AL
- “Nutrition & Eosinophilic Disease” Gastrointestinal Esophageal Disease Program: 3rd Annual Patient Conference, April 2016, Children’s of Alabama, Birmingham, AL
- “Kids & Nutrition” Pediatric dental residents, January 2016, UAB School of Dentistry
- “Feeding Babies,” Resident Noon Conference, September 2015, Children’s of Alabama, Birmingham, AL