Department of Healthcare Administration
Samford University’s Department of Healthcare Administration was created for people who are called to serve through dynamic leadership. The department focuses on developing and nurturing servant leaders who will make a mighty impact on the delivery of healthcare locally, nationally and internationally.
The current landscape of healthcare in the United States remains in a state of transition. With new payment structures, laws and industry demands, the need for trained managers and leaders aware of the need for sound, ethical business practices that influence the lives and quality of life of patients is high. There is a need for leaders who understand the delicate balance between the fiscal health of an organization and the ultimate health of a population. Healthcare administrators are leaders trained to achieve superior organization and population health in a state of constant change.
The mission of the Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Administration program is to train servant leaders who have a global perspective by providing a foundation in healthcare executive competencies through an inter-professional curriculum for entry-level management positions.
The mission of the Master of Healthcare Administration (M.H.A.) is to prepare individuals for career transitions in healthcare management careers which foster patient-centered and ethical care.
The Department of Healthcare Administration aspires to prepare practice-ready graduates through innovation and quality teaching and learning with a commitment to servant leadership in local and international underserved populations.
The Department of Healthcare Administration values the following as central to our success:
- Christian-Based Education: We are committed to integrating our Christian faith and beliefs in our delivery of healthcare administration education.
- Servant Leadership: We are committed to leading through our service. The faculty and students strive to model dynamic leadership that puts others first. We strive to contribute to the benefit of the local and global community as both faculty and students.
- Excellence: We pursue excellence within the department through opportunities for achievement in scholarship, service and research.
- Practice-Ready: We are committed to preparing students who are ready to practice upon graduation.
- Respect for diversity: We are committed to respecting the differences in others by learning to appreciate the different cultures of the populations that we serve.
- Integrity: We are committed to operating in an environment that values honesty, fairness and the highest ethical standards to sustain a community of trust.
- Empowerment: We encourage personal accountability for success through shared governance in academic pursuits.
Competency Based Education
Healthcare administration education is a competency based curriculum. The competency model is based upon the ACHE Healthcare Executive Competencies and Assessment Tool developed by the Healthcare Leadership Alliance and the American College of Healthcare Executives. The curriculum is designed to provide competency communication, leadership, professionalism, business knowledge and healthcare systems with unique specializations at the graduate level.