Pursuing a degree in Health Sciences means answering a call to focus on the well-being of others. At Samford University, we help you develop the character, knowledge, excellence and professionalism you need to be successful in your calling. The Department of Kinesiology’s Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences allows you to explore the various professions within the broad area of health. Whether you are interested in becoming a physician assistant, an occupational therapist, a strength and conditioning coach or other health professional, the health sciences major provides many elective hours to allow you to tailor your program to meet your professional goals. With an emphasis on outstanding classroom teaching, practical experiences, undergraduate research, mentoring and service, the health sciences program not only prepares students for graduate school or their first job, it allows them to begin living out their calling to serve others.
In the health sciences program at Samford, you will find:
- Low student-to-teacher ratio in the classroom
- Dedicated faculty mentors and instructors who will help you pursue excellence as you identify your calling
- Opportunities to participate in an internship in your chosen area of study
- An academic adviser in addition to a health professions mentor who will guide your progress toward a career in health
- Medical missional trip opportunities that allow you to serve alongside experienced health care professionals in clinical settings
- Rigorous curriculum that is updated as needed to reflect ever-evolving trends and practices in the health care industry
- Faculty-mentored research opportunities in which many students have won regional and national awards
- Study alongside students in other health care disciplines as part of Samford’s College of Health Sciences, an innovative learning environment designed to foster interprofessional collaboration and experiential learning
Prospective students must receive admission to Samford University. Apply Now
Students and applicants with disabilities who seek accommodations must make a request by contacting the Section 504/Disability Access and Accommodation Coordinator, 205-726-4078.
Our students are prepared to apply to graduate programs in a variety of health-related fields, including occupational therapy or physician assistance, among others. If graduate school is not in your immediate future, you will be prepared to move directly into the workforce in areas such as strength and conditioning, research assistant or many other health-related professions.
Samford University is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
"The internship is essential to the educational experience as it is an opportunity for students to apply the skills and knowledge they have learned in their classes. The internship also allows students to explore various opportunities within the areas of health, wellness and/or sports. Finally, the internship allows students to gain valuable work experience as they seek to begin their future careers."
- Alan P. Jung, Ph.D., FACSM
Chair, Department of Kinesiology
Life in the Program
“The educators and programs that Samford offers has taught me more than just textbook knowledge, but knowledge that will play a role in every stage of life I partake in. I have learned what true success and professionalism looks like and that it's not always about your job title or your yearly income, it's about what influence you are making on others lives. Influencing others in a positive way is what defines true success.”
- Kayla Meadows,
Fitness and Health Promotion major, ‘13