Ellen B. Buckner, Ph.D., RN, CNE, AE-C
Dr. Buckner has a lifelong commitment to higher education and nursing education. She has served for more than 40 years as a nurse educator with extensive professional leadership and scholarly work. She developed nursing honors tracks at both UAB and University of South Alabama and has consulted with development of nursing honors programs at New York University and Texas Women’s University. Students in those programs have conducted more than 150 undergraduate research, service-learning, or international research projects and presented these nationally and internationally. She is committed to developing baccalaureate professional nurses and strengthening relationships with frontline nurses in practice. She has recently begun developing interprofessional education and research experiences in school-based asthma self-management education for adolescents. She is involved in her community as a member of Highlands United Methodist Church and chair of the Alabama Academy of Science’s Gorgas Scholarship program for high school seniors.
Degrees and Certifications
- Ph.D., nursing, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- M.S.N., University of Alabama at Birmingham
- M.S., physiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- B.S.N., University of Alabama at Birmingham
- A.B., religion, Duke University
Awards and Honors
- Faculty Excellence in Scholarship, College of Nursing, University of South Alabama, 2015
- Cindajo Overton Outstanding Nurse Educator Award, Alabama State Nurses Association, 2015
- NASN/ANF Scholar, National Association of School Nurses/American Nurses Foundation, 2010
- 60 Visionary Leaders, UAB School of Nursing Alumni Association
- Ellen Gregg Ingalls UAB National Alumni Society Award Lifetime Achievement in Teaching, 2005
- Johnson, P., Gillman, A., Lintner, A., & Buckner, E. (2016). Nurse-driven CAUTI reduction process and protocol: Development through an academic-practice partnership. Critical Care Nursing Quarterly, 39 (4), 352-362.
- Riley, B.H., Dearmon, V., Mestas, L., & Buckner, E.B. (2016). Frontline nurse engagement and empowerment: Characteristics and processes for building leadership capacity. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 40 (4), 325-333.
- Buckner, E.B., Shores, M., Sloane, M., Dantzler, J., Shields C. D., Shader, K., & Newcomer, B. (2016). Honors and Non-Honors Student Engagement: A Model of Student, Curricular, and Institutional Characteristics. JNCHC: Journal of the National Collegiate Honors Council, 17 (1), 191-217.
- Buckner, B., & Buckner, E. (2015). Adaptation in Post-revolution Egypt: An Integrated Community-Based Application of the Roy Adaptation Model. Nursing Science Quarterly, 28 (4), 300-307.
- Lim, F., Slater, L.Z., & Buckner, E.B. (2015). Honors program. In Smith, M. J., Carpenter, R., & Fitzpatrick, J. J. Encyclopedia of nursing education. New York: Springer Publishing (pp. 182-185).
- Dearmon, V. A., Riley, B. H., Mestas, L.G., & Buckner, E.B. (2015). Bridge to shared governance: Developing leadership of frontline nurses. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 39 (1), 69-77.
- Buckner, E.B., Anderson, D.J., Garzon, N.A., Lai, C.K.Y., Hafsteinsdóttir, T.B., & Roshan, R. (2014). Perspectives on Global Nursing Leadership: International Experiences from the Field. International Nursing Review, 61, 463-471.
- Buckner, E., Optholt, T., Miller, K., & Copeland, D. (2016). Feasibility of a School-based Interprofessional Asthma Self-Management Program for Middle School Students: Application of Middle Range Theory of Adapting to Chronic Illness. Roy Adaptation Association Conference, June 10-11, 2016, Boston, MA. (Lizzie Whetsell Award Podium Paper)
- Buckner, E. B. & Lai, C. (2015). Introducing a Global Leadership Mentoring STTI Online Community. Podium presentation to the 43nd Biennial Convention Sigma Theta Tau International, Las Vegas, NE, 7 November - 11 November 2015.
- Buckner, E., Newcomer, B., Sloane, M., Spencer, T., & Wenning, A. (2015). Developing in Honors (DIH): Articulation of Department/School-Based Honors and University-Wide Honors. 50th Annual Conference of the National Collegiate Honors Council, November 11-14, 2015, Chicago, IL
- Wilson, J., Slater, L.Z., & Buckner, E.B. (2015). A Spoonful of Sugar: Strategies for Blending Nursing and Honors. Roundtable discussion presented to the 50th Annual Conference of the National Collegiate Honors Council, November 11-14, 2015, Chicago, IL.
- Dearmon, V., Buckner, E. B., & Mestas, L. (2015). Academic Practice Partnerships: Linking the Best of Both Worlds. In AACN-AONE Academic-Practice Partnership Webinar, presented on March 5, 2015, American Association of Colleges of Nursing, Washington, DC.
- Interprofessional School-based Asthma Self-Management Education for Young Teens
- Honors Education in Nursing
- Roy Adaptation Model as Middle Range Theory and Research for Persons Adapting to Chronic Illness
- Frontline Engagement of Nurses through Shared Governance