Degrees and Certifications
- DNP, Samford University
- FNP-BC, American Nurses Credentialing Center
- MSN, Mississippi University for Women
- BSN, University of Alabama
- West Alabama Nurse Practitioners
- Sigma Theta Tau
- Alabama State Nursing Association
- American Nurses Association
- National League of Nursing
- American Heart Association
An Innovative EMS Health Care Delivery System: A Program Development.
- Congestive heart failure
- Innovative health care delivery systems
Dr. Tonya Shanahan comes to Samford from the University of Alabama where she taught for five years in the Capstone College of Nursing program. In addition, Tonya works as a family nurse practitioner certified by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). She has practiced for Maude Whatley Health Services since 2008 serving patients in a health provider shortage area. Her professional interests include managing chronic disease, developing innovative health care delivery programs, and working with interdisciplinary teams. Currently, she is piloting her health promotion for heart failure project. Tonya enjoys connecting with people, spending time with family, leading women’s small groups, and cooking. She is married to Tim who works for the Tuscaloosa Fire and Rescue Service. They have 4 children and 2 grandsons.