Doctor of Nursing Practice (Post-Master's)
Educating leaders for the modern health care industry
Health care in America is changing faster than at any time in history. The post-master's Doctor of Nursing Practice (D.N.P.) program prepares nurses with the skills and knowledge they need to succeed at the highest levels of nursing practice and administration. Upon graduation, you will be prepared to take on organizational and systems leadership and will possess advanced clinical skills, the ability to mobilize interdisciplinary teams, to establish collaborative relationships to solve complex clinical problems and to initiate policy and programmatic changes. The doctor of nursing practice is a terminal degree in nursing that can be completed in one calendar year of full-time study or two years of part-time study in an online format.
Whether you are an advanced practice nurse (nurse practitioner, nurse anesthetist, clinical nurse specialist or nurse midwife) or a nurse administrator, this degree will prepare you for leadership roles in evidence- based practice and to fully implement emerging science and practice innovations in health care.
The administration option is available for master's-prepared nurses to effectively improve the safety and quality of patient care, administer health care programs and organizations and develop and implement health policy. Educator add-on courses are available for those who desire to teach in a school of nursing.
D.N.P. Administration Full-Time Plan of Study - 12 months
D.N.P. Administration Part-Time Plan of Study - 24 months
D.N.P. Administration with Additional Educator Role (Full Time; Part Time, Spring Start; Part Time, Summer Start)
The advanced practice option for master's-prepared advanced practice nurses is intended to prepare individuals at the most advanced level of nursing practice. Graduates are educated to effectively advance the management of individuals, families and the population and improve the safety and quality of patient care. Educator add-on courses are available for those who desire to teach and lead in a school of nursing.
D.N.P. Advanced Practice Full-Time Plan of Study - 12 months
D.N.P. Advanced Practice Part-Time Plan of Study - 24 months
D.N.P. Advanced Practice with Additional Educator Role Concentration Options (Full Time; Part Time, Spring Start; Part Time, Summer Start)
Admission Requirements & Criteria+
Doctor of Nursing Practice Admission
Doctor of Nursing Practice
Entry Month: May
Slate Application Deadline: February 1
D.N.P. with Educator Concentration
Entry month: January and May
Slate Application Deadline: October 1 and February 1
Applications to the doctor of nursing practice program are made online through Slate.
Doctor of Nursing Practice Admission Criteria
- Unencumbered licensure as a registered nurse
- Master's degree from a CCNE, CNEA or ACEN (formerly NLNAC) accredited program in the area of advanced practice or administration (applicants with unique credentials will be considered on a case-by-case basis)
- Master's degree cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale
- A video interview submission (a link to this site will be provided after application has been submitted)
- International applicants (applicants who are not United States citizens or permanent residents) must contact the director of graduate student services for detailed program requirements
- American citizens or permanent residents who learned English as a second language must score at least 550 (paper), 213 (computer) or 80 (internet) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- If accepted, a non-refundable fee of $750 is required to secure admission to the program. This fee is applied to the first semester's tuition.
- Should any of the above conditions not be met, the applicant may be considered on an individual basis
Doctor of Nursing Practice Application Process
Applications to the Doctor of Nursing Practice program are submitted online through Slate.
Transcripts can be sent electronically to email@example.com or by mail to:
Office of Admission
800 Lakeshore Drive
Birmingham, AL 35229