All graduate nursing students committed to four years as nursing faculty or advanced practice preceptor post-graduation are eligible for nursing student loan forgiveness.
The Nurse Faculty Loan Program provides cancellation of up to 85% of the original student loans (plus interest thereon) for completion of up to four years of post-graduation nurse educator employment in the same position.
The types of qualifying employment considered to meet the criteria for loan cancellation follows:
- A full-time faculty member at an accredited school of nursing;
- A part-time faculty member at an accredited school of nursing in combination with another part-time faculty position or part-time clinical preceptor/educator position affiliated with an accredited school of nursing that together equates to full-time employment;
- *Designation of nurse faculty in a joint nurse faculty appointment, serving as full-time advanced practice registered nurse (APRN) preceptor (volunteer or paid position) for at least 30 hours monthly in an accredited school of nursing, within an academic-practice partnership framework.
The loan cancellation over the four-year period follows: 20% of the principal and interest may be canceled upon completion of each of the first, second and third years of full-time employment, totaling 60%, followed by the cancellation of 25% of the principal and interest upon completion of the fourth year of full-time nurse faculty employment.
Repayment on the remaining 15% of the loan balance is postponed during the cancellation period. This loan accrues interest at a rate of 3% per annum, beginning 3 months after graduation (per PHS Act Section 846A (c)(6)(A)) for loan recipients who establish employment as nurse faculty.
*For joint nursing faculty appointment designation, recipients are encouraged to negotiate a contract/position with an accredited school of nursing prior to precepting students.
- Be enrolled full-time or part-time in an advanced education nursing degree program
- Agree to take three nurse educator courses in addition to an established program of study
- Be in good academic standing
- Meet citizenship requirements
Plans of Study
Nurse Faculty Loan Program Plans of Study
B.S.N. to M.S.N.
- B.S.N. to M.S.N. Family Nurse Practitioner Plan of Study (Fall Start)
- B.S.N. to M.S.N. Family Nurse Practitioner Plan of Study (Spring Start)
- B.S.N to M.S.N. Family Nurse Practitioner with Emergency Nurse Practitioner
- B.S.N to M.S.N. Family Nurse Practitioner and Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
B.S.N. to D.N.P.
M.S.N. to D.N.P.
- M.S.N. to D.N.P. Emergency Nurse Practitioner
- M.S.N. to D.N.P. Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
- M.S.N. to D.N.P. Nursing Administration (Spring)
- M.S.N. to D.N.P. Nursing Administration (Summer)
- M.S.N. to D.N.P. Nursing Advanced Practice (Spring)
- M.S.N. to D.N.P. Nursing Advanced Practice (Summer)
Post-Masters Advanced Practice Certificates