Moffett & Sanders School of Nursing is proud to be the only school in Alabama offering a true online associate degree in nursing to master's degree in nursing program in which you do not earn a bachelor's degree. Through the ADN/ASN to M.S.N. option, the school of nursing provides experienced registered nurses who currently hold an associate of science in nursing or a hospital diploma with the opportunity to earn an M.S.N. through a nontraditional path. The ADN/ASN to M.S.N. program begins once each year in May.
The ADN/ASN to M.S.N. option consists of five bridge courses, which can be completed in two semesters. Successful completion of all five bridge courses must be accomplished in order to progress to the M.S.N. core courses. When taken full time and in sequence, the ADN/ASN to M.S.N. option takes two and a half to three years to complete. General education courses may be completed at another university and then transferred to Samford prior to enrolling in the ADN/ASN to M.S.N. program.
ADN/ASN to M.S.N. students:
- Earn an M.S.N. degree online in 2.5 to 3 years
- Participate in cutting edge, web-based learning with clinical and practicum experiences close to home
- Access all coursework and resources anywhere, anytime from any internet-connected electronic device
- Receive personal attention from caring and supportive Samford faculty and advisors
- Experience a rich tradition of high academic standards and quality education practice
- Visit Samford's beautiful campus in Birmingham, Alabama, for required sessions during the program
- Seamlessly continue into our Doctor of Nursing Practice Program without reapplying
Admission Requirements & Criteria
ADN/ASN to M.S.N. Admission DeadlineEntry month: May 2021
Slate Application Opens: July 2020
Slate Application Deadline: February 1, 2021
ADN/ASN to M.S.N. Admission Criteria
ADN/ASN to M.S.N. applicants should meet the following criteria:
- Unencumbered licensure as a registered nurse
- Associate of Science in Nursing from CNEA or ACEN (formerly NLNAC) accredited program or hospital diploma and regionally accredited program
- Completion of a minimum of 72 hours of college credit
- Undergraduate cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in nursing courses
- A video submission
- Completion of required general education prerequisites
- If accepted, a non-refundable fee of $750 is required to secure admission into the program. This fee is applied to the first semester's tuition.
- Should any of the above conditions not be met, the applicant may be considered on an individual basis.
Out-of-state applicants to any of our distance-accessible programs should become familiar with their state’s regulations governing distance accessible programs. Prospective students who plan to conduct Samford’s distance education/clinical in a state other than Alabama, should contact their state’s Board of Nursing and Department of Education for specific rules and regulations pertaining to students enrolled in out-of-state programs. Students residing in states with strict rules and regulations for distance education may not be eligible to receive an offer of admission.
- Transcripts can be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
Moffett & Sanders School of Nursing Graduate Student Services
800 Lakeshore Drive
Birmingham, AL 35229
- Three letters of recommendation – two professional (at least one supervisor) and one academic
- Personal statement indicating career plans and likelihood of success in graduate study
- Professional resume
Plan of Study & Clinical Requirements
Tuition, Fees & Financial Aid
Tuition and Fees
Tuition for in-state and out-of-state students is $888 per credit hour. Tuition may be paid online or at Samford One Stop, and must be paid by the first day of each semester/term. Policies and methods for tuition and fee payment can be found in the Samford University catalog and the Samford One Stop website.
Fees are automatically generated following registration. For a full list of university, school and course fees please view our graduate fees worksheet.
The following additional fees are applicable for the 2020-2021 academic year:
- Remote Proctor – $200
- Background check – cost varies by state
- ESS compliance account - $70
A financial assistance program administered by Samford One Stop has been established to aid students in attending Samford University.
To learn more about financial aid options, please visit the Samford One Stop or call 205-726-2905.