David M. Finn
Orlean Beeson School of Education
Dr. David M. Finn serves as the School of Education International Director. Prior to coming to Samford, he held teaching and clinical positions at the University of Washington in Seattle, the University of Hawaii at Mano’a (Honolulu) and UAB. Dr. Finn is a frequent keynote speaker at state, national and international conferences most recently in Beirut, Lebanon; Kona, Hawaii; the Czech Republic and Germany.
His research interests include children with Autism Spectrum Disorders, especially those who have Hyperacusis and Educational Neuroscience. His publications include a variety of tests for families of young children with special needs, hyperacusis in autism and school safety.
More recently he has turned his attention to the growing needs of refugee families worldwide. Students and teachers alike report they appreciate his passionate lectures and hands-on approach to teaching.
Degrees and Certifications
- Ed.D. Special Education, University of Alabama
- M.S. Educational Psychology, University of Alabama
- B.S. Multiple Disabilities, University of Alabama
- special education
Awards and Honors
- Scholarship Award, Orlean Bullard Beeson School of Education, 2014
- Outstanding Teacher Educator Council for Exceptional Children, 2011
- Jasper Harvey Award for Outstanding Teacher Educator in Special Education, 2011
- Alabama Federation - Council for Exceptional Children
- Wolmesjö, M., & Finn, D.M. (2014, Fall). “Spousal abuse in Sweden.” National Council on Family Relations Report Magazine. Minneapolis, MN.
- Finn, D.M. (2014). “Parenting children with special needs…(Content expert)” In Bigner, J. & Gerhardt, C. Parent-Child Relations: An Introduction to Parenting. (9th ed). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson/Merrill.
- Finn, D.M. (2014). “Family formation and parenting…(Content expert)” In Bigner, J. & Gerhardt, C. Parent-Child Relations: An Introduction to Parenting. (9th ed). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson/Merrill.
- Finn, D.M., Woolley, T., Gao, M., Giles, L., Jing, Q., Li, H., Lu, L., Talton, J., Williams, L., Yan, Y. & Duncan, R. (2013, March). “Samford School Safety Survey.” Unpublished Manuscript, Samford University: Birmingham.
- Finn, D.M., Woolley, T., Gao, M., Giles, L., Jing, Q., Li, H., Lu, L., Talton, J., Williams, L., Yan, Y. & Duncan, R. (2013, March). “Samford School Safety Survey.
- Finn, D.M. & Haralson, M. (2014, January 20-24). Teaching Children with Special Needs Through Technology in the General Education Classroom. Lebanese Society for Educational and Social Development (LSESD)-Project SKILD (Smart Kids with Individual Learning Difficulties).Presented to 8 schools across Lebanon in cities including Beirut, Zahle, Chouf, Sidon, and Antellias.
- Finn, D.M. (2013, April 29). Autism Spectrum Disorders: An Overview of Characteristics and Learning Styles. Paedagogische Hochschule Weingarten University, Weingarten, Germany.
- Finn, D.M. & Gerhardt, C.E., Cohen, D., & Naramore, S. (2013, April 24). Children with Autism and Hyperacusis: Procedures for Reducing Stress and Anxiety in School Setting during Safety Drills. International Conference on the Implementation of New Teaching Methods in Special Education. Technical University of Liberec, Czech Republic.
- Finn, D.M. (2013, April 22). Autism Spectrum Disorders:An Overview. Lebanese American University, School of Arts and Sciences. Beirut, Lebanon.
- Finn, D.M. (2013, April 20).“Lessons from Neuroscience:Applications to enhance student achievement.”Second Annual Conference for Learning Disabilities for parents and educators.UNESCO Palace, Beirut, Lebanon.
- The Autism Society of America
- The Council for Exceptional Children