This online Master of Science in Education (M.S.E.) in Elementary Education will enrich your teaching expertise and aid you in building your knowledge base and skill set.
The program is delivered in an online format, ideal for educators working full-time. Online courses offer the same quality education as students receive in the classroom, including strong relationships with classmates and faculty, small class sizes and a blend of theoretical concepts with practical, hands-on experiences. Courses are delivered by award-winning faculty who are invested in preparing the next generation of teacher leaders.
The program is cohort based and is completed in just 16 months. Students do not take more than two courses a semester which allows them to dive fully into coursework and research while maintaining their daily responsibilities.
Many of the program courses are designed to align with the requirements for national board certification. As students complete coursework, many assignments may be applicable for submission for national board certification.
I was 17 years into the classroom and had not gotten my masters. When I entered the online classroom I was a little nervous but I didn’t feel that way once we dove right in. The instructors were very thorough and quick to ease any concerns that I had.
-- Ami Brooks ‘17
Objectives and Curriculum
The M.S.E. in Elementary Education with Class A Certification is designed for those who have completed a bachelor’s degree in elementary education and desire to gain knowledge and understanding of pedagogical concepts to impact their practice, the practice of others and learners in the K–sixth grade classroom.
The program was developed to help licensed teachers continue their education, take on leadership roles and conduct powerful practitioner research that has the ability to have a direct impact on their practice and the practice of others.
Graduates of the elementary education program will master the following concepts:
- Assessment strategies to impact student achievement
- Instructional adaptation for student diversity
- Integration of technology in curriculum
- Standards-driven teacher leadership
- Inquiry-based instruction in the elementary classroom
- Action research: theory and techniques
The curriculum requirement for the program is 30 credit hours. Students must have a 3.25 or higher cumulative GPA at Orlean Beeson School of Education to graduate. Please view our full list of completion requirements.
For more information about the graduate courses and electives offered at Orlean Beeson School of Education, please visit the Orlean Beeson School of Education section of the Samford University Catalog.
Fall (August start date): July 15
To be considered for admission to the elementary education master’s program you must:
- Possess a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Hold a Class B teaching certificate in Early Childhood/Elementary or Elementary Education.
For an application to be considered complete, we must receive all of the following:
- Online application for admission. Please be sure to list your personal e-mail address on the application.
- $35 Application Fee. This non-refundable fee is payable by credit card and is waived for Samford alumni, and current Samford students, faculty or staff.
- Official Transcript(s) from all higher education institutions attended. Transcripts are considered official only when they bear the issuing institution’s seal and arrive with the seal intact. Transcripts can be sent electronically to email@example.com or by mail.
- Official GRE or MAT Scores. Applicants should request for GRE or MAT scores to be sent to Samford University from the testing agency. Waived if applicant has already completed a graduate degree from an accredited university.
- Writing Sample
- Dispositions form filled out by current supervisor.
To check the status of application items, you may login to your application account and view the list of application items received.
Is This Program for Me?
If you are committed to life-long learning and are passionate about laying the foundation for students - helping them learn and grow academically, develop social-emotional skills, cultivate good character and become thinkers - this program is for you.
This program will help you enhance your skills and your career while gaining a new outlook. This program is ideal for both new teachers and veteran teachers. By completing the program, you will gain the skills needed to conduct powerful research in your classroom that can have a direct impact on your school, curriculum, teaching skills and your students; you will become a teacher practitioner. Additionally, you will become more marketable and in many states may qualify for a pay increase.
I have not only renewed my passion for teaching, but everything that I have been assigned I have been able to use directly with students in my classroom.
– Sara Askew '17
Elementary education teacher
Tuition, Scholarships and Financial Aid
Please visit our Tuition and Fees page for more information, or contact the Graduate Admissions Coordinator.
Orlean Beeson School of Education is proud to award graduate students in its master's, certificate, and specialist program a scholarship. Graduate students do not need to apply for this scholarship as it is automatically applied. The school will continue providing a scholarship until coursework is complete. Any additional scholarships are the responsibility of the applicant to secure.
A financial assistance program administered by Samford One Stop has been established to aid students in attending Samford University.
Education students have the ability to utilize Stafford Loans and Grad PLUS Loans. As an education student, a FAFSA is required to receive either of these loans.
To learn more about financial aid options, please visit the Samford One Stop or call 205-726-2905.