Jonathan Waugh joined Samford University in 2015 as chairman of the Department of Cardiopulmonary Sciences. He has an appointment as a scientist with the UAB Lung Health Center and conducts research in the areas of mechanical ventilation, capnography, high flow therapy and tobacco treatment/prevention. He has served in a variety of academic roles including respiratory therapy program director and director of clinical education and founding director of a Center for Teaching & Learning. He has experience overseeing human research in the hospital and home settings, and conducting medical device testing and cell culture experimentation. He is devoted to helping students develop a Christian mind to discover knowledge and use it rightly for the glory of God.
Degrees and Certifications
- Ph.D., cardiopulmonary science, Ohio State University
- M.S., allied medicine, Ohio State University
- B.S., respiratory therapy, University of Central Florida
- Licensed Respiratory Therapist, Alabama State Board of Respiratory Therapy
- Registered Respiratory Therapist, National Board for Respiratory Care
- Registered Pulmonary Function Technologist, National Board for Respiratory Care
Mechanical (artificial) ventilation, ventilation graphics and capnography, high flow therapy, tobacco treatment and prevention, active learning techniques and teaching enrichment
Awards and Honors
- University of Alabama at Birmingham President's Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2012
- University of Alabama at BIrmingham School of Health Professions Excellence in Teaching Award, 2008
- Fellow of the American Association for Respiratory Care, 2007
- Alpha Eta Society member, Allied Health Honor Society, 2004
- University of Central Florida Alumni Professional Achievement Award from the Department of Health Professions and Physical Therapy, 1996
Publications (most recent)
- George, R., Cavalcante, R., Caravalho, Jr C., Marques, E., Waugh, J.B., Unlap, M.T. (2015). Use of siRNA molecular beacons to detect and attenuate mycobacterial infection in macrophages. World J Exp Med, 20(5), 164-181. DOI: 10.5493/wjem.v5.i3.164. eCollection 2015.
- Ockene, J.K., Hayes, R.B., Churchill, L.C., Crawford, S.L., Jolicoeur, D.G., Murray, D.M., Shoben, A.B., David, S.P., Ferguson, K.J., Huggett, K.N., Adams, M., Okuliar, C.A., Gross, R.L., Bass, P.F., Greenberg, R.B., Leone, F.T., Okuyemi, K.S., Rudy, D.W., Waugh, J.B., Geller, A.C. (2015). Teaching medical students to help patients quit smoking: outcomes of a 10 school randomized trial. J Gen Intern Med. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 26391030
- Resuehr, D., Lowman, J.L., Eidson, C., Waugh, J.B. (2014). Working toward a more engaging gross anatomy course for optometry students. Optometric Education, 40(1), 10-13.
- Restrepo, R.D., Nuccio, P., Spratt, G., Waugh, J.B. (2014). Current applications of capnography in non-intubated patients. Expert Review of Respiratory Medicine, 8(5), 629-639.
- Sergakis, G., Strickland, S., Waugh, J., et al. (2014). Clinician’s guide to treating tobacco dependence. American Association for Respiratory Care. ePub, 53 pages
Presentations (most recent)
- Invited presentation “Understanding Patient-Ventilator Interaction: The Importance of Identifying Dyssychrony” (Part 2 of the Interpretation of Ventilator Graphics Series) and Tobacco Cessation symposium moderator at the 61st International Congress of the American Association for Respiratory Care, December 2015.
- Invited presentation “Ventilator Patient Interactions – Using Waveforms,” at 41st Annual Pacific Northwest Regional Respiratory Care Conference and Scientific Assembly, April 13, 2014.
Pre-Course workshop “Tobacco Intervention and Cessation Aids” at the International Congress of the American Association for Respiratory Care, Nov. 15, 2013.
Presentation 1: Interventions/Reinforcement
Presentation 2: Tobacco Prevention for Elementary School Age Children
Presentation 3: Workshop Summary
- Invasive and noninvasive mechanical ventilation
- Ventilation monitoring and capnography
- High flow nasal cannula therapy
- Tobacco treatment education
- American Association for Respiratory Care, Chairman, Tobacco Free Lifestyle Roundtable
- Coalition for Baccalaureate and Graduate Respiratory Therapy Education, Treasurer, Board of Directors and Clinical Doctorate Subcommittee
- Alabama Society for Respiratory Care, Speakers Bureau
- American College of Chest Physicians, Allied Health Network