Whether you are an advanced practice nurse (nurse practitioner, nurse anesthetist, clinical nurse specialist or nurse midwife) or a nurse administrator, this degree will prepare you for leadership roles in evidence- based practice and to fully implement emerging science and practice innovations in health care. The online post-master’s D.N.P. nursing administration option is available for master's-prepared nurses.
The Nursing Administration Option prepares you to:
- Improve the safety and quality of patient care,
- Administer health care programs and organizations and
- Develop and implement health policy.
- Educator add-on courses are available for those who desire to teach in a school of nursing.
Post-Master's Doctor of Nursing Practice Admission
Summer D.N.P. Entry Month: May
Slate Application Deadline: January 1
Fall D.N.P. Entry Month: August
Slate Application Deadline: April 1
D.N.P. with Educator Concentration
Entry month: January and May
Slate Application Deadline: August 1 and January 1
Post-Master's Doctor of Nursing Practice Admission Criteria
- Unencumbered licensure as a registered nurse
- Master's degree from a CCNE, CNEA or ACEN (formerly NLNAC) and regionally accredited program in the area of advanced practice or administration
- Master's degree cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale
- A video interview submission (a link to this site will be provided after application has been submitted)
- International applicants (applicants who are not United States citizens or permanent residents) must contact the director of graduate student services for detailed program requirements
- American citizens or permanent residents who learned English as a second language must score at least 575 (paper) or 90 (internet) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- If accepted, a non-refundable fee of $750 is required to secure admission to the program. This fee is applied to the first semester's tuition.
- Should any of the above conditions not be met, the applicant may be considered on an individual basis
Applications to the Doctor of Nursing Practice program are submitted online through Slate.
Transcripts can be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
Office of Admission
800 Lakeshore Drive
Birmingham, AL 35229
The post-master’s DNP program requires students to complete a minimum of 1000 hours of practicum. Students can petition to have hours from their master’s program transferred in by filling out the practicum hours verification form.
Plans of Study
- D.N.P. Nursing Administration Full-time Plan of Study - 12 months
- D.N.P. Nursing Administration Part-time Plan of Study - 24 months
- D.N.P. Administration with Additional Educator Role (Full-Time; Part Time, Spring Start; Part Time, Summer Start)
Tuition and Fees
|Application Fee||$50||Each application - Non-refundable|
|Tuition||$850||Per credit semester/term|
|Online Course Fee*||$100||Per online course|
|University Technology Fee||$175||Each semester/term|
|School of Nursing Technology Fee||$150||Each semester/term|
|Drug Screening Fee - NURG720||$40||One-time charge|
|Additional Drug Screening Fee||$40||Incurred|
|ESS Compliance Fee||$90||One-time charge|
|Typhon Fee - NURG720||$90||One-time charge|
*Does not include clinical or practicum courses