Whether you are an advanced practice nurse (nurse practitioner, nurse anesthetist, clinical nurse specialist or nurse midwife) or a nurse administrator, this degree will prepare you for leadership roles in evidence- based practice and to fully implement emerging science and practice innovations in health care. The online post-master’s D.N.P. nursing administration option is available for master's-prepared nurses.
The Nursing Administration Option prepares you to:
- Improve the safety and quality of patient care
- Administer health care programs and organizations
- Develop and implement health policy
- Educator add-on courses are available for those who desire to teach in a school of nursing
Post-Master's Doctor of Nursing Practice Admission
Summer D.N.P. Entry Month: May
Slate Application Deadline Extended: February 1
Spring D.N.P. with Educator Concentration Entry Month: January
Slate Application Deadline Extended: October 1
Summer D.N.P. with Educator Concentration Entry Month: May
Slate Application Deadline: February 1
Post-Master's Doctor of Nursing Practice Admission Criteria
- Unencumbered licensure as a registered nurse
- Master's degree from a CCNE, CNEA or ACEN (formerly NLNAC) and institutionally accredited college or university in the area of advanced practice or administration
- Master's degree cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale
- A video interview submission
- International applicants (applicants who are not United States citizens or permanent residents) must contact the director of graduate student services for detailed program requirements
- American citizens or permanent residents who learned English as a second language must score at least 575 (paper) or 90 (internet) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- If accepted, a non-refundable fee of $750 is required to secure admission to the program. This fee is applied to the first semester's tuition.
- Should any of the above conditions not be met, the applicant may be considered on an individual basis
- Transcripts can be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to: Moffett & Sanders School of Nursing Graduate Student Services
800 Lakeshore Drive
Birmingham, AL 35229
- Three letters of recommendation – two professional (at least one supervisor) and one academic
- Personal statement indicating career plans and likelihood of success in graduate study
- Professional resume
Out-of-state applicants to any of our distance-accessible programs should become familiar with their state’s regulations governing distance accessible programs. Prospective students who plan to conduct Samford’s distance education/clinical in a state other than Alabama, should contact their state’s Board of Nursing and Department of Education for specific rules and regulations pertaining to students enrolled in out-of-state programs. Students residing in states with strict rules and regulations for distance education may not be eligible to receive an offer of admission.
The post-master’s DNP program requires students to complete a minimum of 1000 hours of practicum. Students can petition to have hours from their master’s program transferred in by filling out the practicum hours verification form.
Plans of Study
Tuition, Fees & Financial Aid
Tuition and Fees
Tuition for in-state and out-of-state students is $906 per credit hour. Tuition may be paid online or at Samford One Stop, and must be paid by the first day of each semester/term. Policies and methods for tuition and fee payment can be found in the Samford University catalog and the Samford One Stop website.
Fees are automatically generated following registration. For a full list of university, school and course fees please view our graduate fees worksheet.
The following additional fees are applicable for the 2021-2022 academic year:
- Background check – cost varies by state
- ESS compliance account - $70
A financial assistance program administered by Samford One Stop has been established to aid students in attending Samford University.
To learn more about financial aid options, please visit Samford One Stop or call 205-726-2905.