The advanced practice option for master's-prepared advanced practice nurses is intended to prepare individuals at the most advanced level of nursing practice. Graduates are educated to effectively advance the management of individuals, families and the population and improve the safety and quality of patient care. Educator add-on courses are available for those who desire to teach and lead in a school of nursing.
Post-Master's Doctor of Nursing Practice Admission
Summer D.N.P. Entry Month: May
Slate Application Deadline: January 1
Fall D.N.P. Entry Month: August
Slate Application Deadline: April 1
D.N.P. with Educator Concentration
Entry month: January and May
Slate Application Deadline: August 1 and January 1
- Unencumbered licensure as a registered nurse
- Master's degree from a CCNE, CNEA or ACEN (formerly NLNAC) and regionally accredited program in the area of advanced practice or administration
- Master's degree cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale
- A video interview submission
- International applicants (applicants who are not United States citizens or permanent residents) must contact the director of graduate student services for detailed program requirements
- American citizens or permanent residents who learned English as a second language must score at least 575 (paper) or 90 (internet) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- If accepted, a non-refundable fee of $750 is required to secure admission to the program. This fee is applied to the first semester's tuition.
- Should any of the above conditions not be met, the applicant may be considered on an individual basis
Applications to the Doctor of Nursing Practice program are submitted online through Slate.
Transcripts can be sent electronically to email@example.com or by mail to:
Office of Admission
800 Lakeshore Drive
Birmingham, AL 35229
The post-master’s D.N.P. program requires students to complete a minimum of 1000 hours of practicum. Students can petition to have hours from their master’s program transferred in by filling out the practicum hours verification form.
Plans of Study
D.N.P. Advanced Practice – (Part-time)
D.N.P. Advanced Practice – (Full-time)
D.N.P. Advanced Practice with Educator Concentration – (Part-time)
D.N.P. Advanced Practice with Educator Concentration – (Full-time)
Tuition and Fees