Jennifer Coleman, Ph.D., RN, CNE, COI
When Dr. Jennifer Coleman arrived at Samford University as a graduate nursing student, she knew immediately that she had been led to this place and that all of her previous experiences were in preparation for that particular moment. “I’ve always known that I was called to be a nurse and that my purpose is to encourage, empower, and validate the efforts of others as they seek their special calling,” said Coleman. “As a faculty member, I am thankful for the opportunity to play a role in each student’s journey along the path toward finding his or her perfect purpose. During the challenging, uncertain times, I am reminded of Mordecai’s words to Esther ‘…who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this?” (Esther 4:14 [KJV]). I am truly blessed and honored to serve and to fulfill my calling in this special place with such a caring group of people.’”
Degrees and Certifications
- Ph.D., University of Southern Mississippi
- M.S.N., Samford University
- B.S.N., University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Certified Nurse Educator, National League for Nursing
- Certified Online Instructor
- nursing education
- pediatric nursing
- nursing ethics
- children with Type 1 diabetes
- culturally sensitive care
- health disparities
Awards and Honors
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Alabama League for Nursing
- Nurse Educator of the Year, National Black Nurses Association
Coleman, J. J., & Dick, T. K. (2016). Nursing & Theater: Teaching ethics through the arts. Nurse Educator, 41(5), 262-265. doi: 10.1097/NNE.0000000000000271.
- Lundeen, J. D., Warr, R. J., Cortes, C. G., Wallis, F., & Coleman, J. J. (in press). The Development of a Clinical Peer Review Tool. Nursing Education Perspectives
Coleman, J. J. (2015). Health, Wellness, & Stress Management. Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Sigma Eta Chapter Sister Circle, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama, March 2015.
Coleman, J. J., Dick, T. K., & Sheffield, S. (2013). Nursing and theater: A collaborative venture [Poster Presentation]. The Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International, 42nd Biennial Convention, Indianapolis, IN, November 2013.
Coleman, J. J., & Dick, T. K. (2014). Nursing & theatre: A collaborative venture [Podium Presentation]. Region 8 Conference, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, Murfreesboro, Tennessee, October 2014.
Coleman, J. J., & Williamson, M. F. (2014). Survive & thrive with five: A diabetes education program [Podium Presentation]. National Black Nurses Association 42nd Annual Institute & Conference, Philadelphia, PA, August 2014.
- Alabama Board of Nursing, nominating committee
- Birmingham Black Nurses Association, president, 2013-2015
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education On-site Accreditation Evaluator
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, abstract reviewer
- Virginia Henderson International Library Research Repository, reviewer
- Southeastern Diabetes Education Services, Inc.
- American Diabetes Association, Project Power ambassador
- Spirit of Luke Health Ministry, Alabama Black Belt Mission Initiative