When Dr. Jennifer Coleman arrived at Samford University as a graduate nursing student, she knew immediately that she had been led to this place and that all of her previous experiences were in preparation for that particular moment. “I’ve always known that I was called to be a nurse and that my purpose is to encourage, empower, and validate the efforts of others as they seek their special calling,” said Coleman. “As a faculty member, I am thankful for the opportunity to play a role in each student’s journey along the path toward finding his or her perfect purpose. During the challenging, uncertain times, I am reminded of Mordecai’s words to Esther ‘…who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this?” (Esther 4:14 [KJV]). I am truly blessed and honored to serve and to fulfill my calling in this special place with such a caring group of people.’”
Degrees and Certifications
- Ph.D., University of Southern Mississippi
- M.S.N., Samford University
- B.S.N., University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Certified Nurse Educator, National League for Nursing
- Certified Online Instructor, LERN
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, Abstract Reviewer
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education On-site Accreditation Evaluator
- National League for Nursing, Nursing Education Perspectives Research Journal, Manuscript Reviewer
- National Black Nurses Association, Abstract Reviewer; co-editor, NBNA News
- Alabama State Nurses Association
- Birmingham Black Nurses Association, Scholarship Committee; Mentorship Program; Grants Committee
- Southeastern Diabetes Education Services
- Nursing diversity
- Nursing ethics
- Culturally sensitive care
- Health disparities
- Children with Type 1 diabetes
- Pediatric nursing
Awards and Honors
- Trailblazer Award, National Black Nurses Association, 2021
- Visionary Leader Award, UAB School of Nursing, 2021
- Outstanding Nurse Administrator (Academe) Award, Alabama State Nurses Association, 2019
- Audrey Howard Gaston Alumni Award, Samford University, 2018
- Cindajo Overton Outstanding Nurse Educator, Alabama State Nurses Association, 2017
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Alabama League for Nursing, 2014
- Nurse Educator of the Year, National Black Nurses Association, 2011
- “Doc E” Award, Southeastern Diabetes Education Services, 2006
Coleman, J. J., Harvey, N. R., & Pritchett, T. (in press) Factors affecting success in nursing school: Experiences of African American BSN Students. Nursing Education Perspectives.
Coleman, J. J., Thedford-Zimmerman, D., Dawson, M., Harris, L., Amerson, G., Williamson, M., & Diggins, V. (2019). Helping others help themselves. The Alabama Nurse, 46(1), 7.
Lundeen, J. D., Warr, R. J., Cortes, C. G., Wallis, F., & Coleman, J. J. (2018). The development of a clinical peer review tool. Nursing Education Perspectives, 39, 43-45.
- Coleman, J. J., & Dick, T. K. (2016). Nursing & Theater: Teaching ethics through the arts. Nurse Educator, 41, 262-265.
- Coleman, J. J., & Thedford-Zimmerman, D. (2016). BBNA and National Mentoring Month. NBNA News, 31.
- Coleman, J. J. (2013). BBNA: Mentorship in Action! NBNA News, 29.
- Coleman, J. J. (2012). African American Infant Mortality: An Urgent Cry – Bridging the Gap. NBNA News, 32.
- Coleman, J. J. (2011). Mentoring: Helping minority students succeed. NBNA News, 6-7.
- Menear, K. S., Coleman, J. J., McDavid, R., & Ackley, T. (2010). Working with students who have diabetes in physical education and athletic programs: Be active, be prepared. The ASAHPERD Journal, 27(1), 14-16.
- Coleman, J. J. (2009). Culture care meanings of African American parents related to infant mortality and health care. Journal of Cultural Diversity: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 16(3), 109-119.
- Factors contributing to success in nursing school: Experiences of African American BSN students. Accepted for presentation at the National Black Nurses Association 47th Annual Institute & Conference, Hollywood, FL, August 2020 (accepted for presentation).
- Factors affecting success in nursing school: Experiences of African American BSN Students. Accepted for presentation at the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International and National League for Nursing, Nursing Education Research Conference 2020, Washington, DC, March 2020 (accepted for presentation)
- Time Management. Presented at Dannon Training Institute, Occupational Training Programs, Birmingham, Alabama, March 2019
- Guidelines for development and implementation of the DNP scholarly project, Presented at the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International and National League for Nursing, Nursing Education Research Conference 2018, Washington, DC, April 2018
- The development of a clinical peer review tool. Southern Regional Educational Board, Council on Collegiate Education for Nursing 2017 Annual Meeting & Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, November 2017 (poster)
- Transitioning from Student to Practicing Nurse. Presented at Alabama Nurses Day at the Capitol, Alabama State Nurses Association, Montgomery, Alabama, February 2018
- Nursing and theater: A collaborative venture, Presented at the National League for Nursing Education Summit 2017, San Diego, CA, September 2017 (poster)
- The development of a clinical peer review tool, Presented at the National League for Nursing Education Summit 2017, San Diego, CA, September 2017 (poster)
- Nursing and theater: A collaborative venture, Presented at the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International, 42nd Biennial Convention, Indianapolis, IN, November 2013 (poster)
- The power of simulation in pediatrics: Effect on confidence and clinical reasoning skills, Presented at Drexel University College of Nursing & Health Professions International Conference, Fort Lauderdale, FL, March 2012
- Factors Affecting Success in Nursing School: Experiences of African American B.S.N. Students