Andrea Collins, D.N.P., NP-C, CNE
Degrees and Certifications
- D.N.P., advanced practice track, additional education focus, Samford University
- M.S.N., family nurse practitioner, Samford University
- B.S.N., Samford University
- A.S.N., Samford University
- Family Nurse Practitioner, American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- Certified Nurse Educator, National League for Nursing
- Certified Online Instructor (C.O.I.)
- Adult health
- Pain management
- Medical missions
- Service learning
- Interprofessional education
- Nursing education
Collins, A., Broeseker, A., Cunningham, J., Cortes, C., Beall, J., Bigham, A., & Chang, J. (in press). A longitudinal online interprofessional education experience involving family nurse practitioner students and pharmacy students. Journal of Interprofessional Care
Collins, A. (2016). Evaluation and treatment of vitamin D deficiency. The Nurse Practitioner, 41(11), 1-6. DOI:10.1097/01.NPR.0000502797.81231.c6
Collins, A. (2013). Practice implications for preventing population vulnerability related to vitamin D status. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 25, 109-118. DOI:10.1111/1745-7599.12005
- Collins, A. (2016). Statin Benefit Groups: Clinical application of the 2013 AHA/ACC Guideline on the Treatment of Blood Cholesterol to Reduce Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Risk in Adults. Central Alabama Nurse Practitioner Association Continuing Education event.
- Collins, A. & Holston, J. (2015). Managing Pain in Primary Care: Appropriate Pharmacotherapeutic Strategies. Central Alabama Nurse Practitioner Association Continuing Education event.
- Collins, A. & Holston, J. (2015). Say Goodnight Safely: Evidence-based options for the treatment of insomnia. Central Alabama Nurse Practitioner Association Continuing Education event.
- Cortes, C., Collins, A., Cunningham, J., & Bigham, A. (2015). Pilot Study to Incorporate Interprofessional Education with FNP Students in an Online Program and Pharmacy Students in a Traditional Program Using a Blended Approach. Interprofessional Health Care Summit. Savannah, GA.
- Collins, A. (2014, August 15). Physical and Medical Issues of the Aging Population. Invited Speaker- AlaCare Care at the End of Life Conference. Birmingham, AL.
- Bigham, A., & Collins, A. (2014). Strategies for Designing Interprofessional Education Projects for Undergraduate and Graduate Nursing Students. Invited Presenters for NurseTim webinar.
- Bigham, A., & Collins, A. (2013, September 18) Advancing the Nation’s Health through Interprofessional Collaboration: Strategies for Undergraduate and Graduate Nursing Education. National League for Nursing Education Summit. Washington, DC
- Bigham, A., Collins, A. (2013). Internal Samford University Technology Grant. Improving Nurse Practitioner Student Recognition and Management of Abnormal Physical Findings Through the Use of Standardized Patients and Technology.
- Collins, A., Whisenant, D. Holston, J. (2013). Internal Samford University Faculty Development Grant. A Comparison of Magnesium vs. Melatonin for Improved Sleep Quality and Quantity.
- Alabama League for Nursing, president
- American Association of Nurse Practitioners
- Annual Honuras mission trips since 2000, medical director
Awards and Honors
- Community Foundation Grant, Chandler Mountain Farm Worker Projects, Collins, A., Cortes, C., & Shelton, L., 2015