Moffett & Sanders School of Nursing
1529 CHS Building 1
Degrees and Certifications
- Ph.D., nursing education and administration, William Carey University
- M.S.N., nurse educator, Samford University
- B.S.N., Samford University
- A.A.S., nursing, Jefferson State Community College
- Certified Nurse Educator, National League for Nursing
- Certified Online Instructor, Maryland Online
- Practice: adult medical-surgical, perioperative nursing
- Academic: nursing education and online education
- Scholarship/Research: recruitment and retention of nurses
Awards and Honors
- Winning poster in the category of Program Evaluation of Accelerated Programs, "A Holistic Approach to Facilitating Professional Socialization of Accelerated Second Baccalaureate Degree Nursing Students," Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, 2013
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation New Careers in Nursing Grant Round 7, project director and co-writer of grant application, awarded $50,000 scholarship funds for Accelerated Second Degree Program, 2014-15
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation New Careers in Nursing Grant Round 6, co-writer of grant application, awarded $50,000 scholarship funds for Accelerated Second Degree Program, 2013-14
- Educators' preparation to teach, perceived teaching presence and perceived teaching prescence behaviors in blended and online learning environments
- Best Practices in Online Education
- Alabama State Nurses Association, District 3, member (1996-present), board member (2001–2002), delegate to state convention (2001, 2002)
- American Nurses Association, member (1996-present)
- Alabama League for Nurses, member (2012-present)
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, member (2001-present)
- Gamma Eta Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau, president (2011–2014), electronic delegate (2011-present), vice-president (2004-2006), delegate to national convention (2003, 2019), secretary (2017-present)
- EasterSeals Community Health Clinic, Pell City, AL, volunteer registered nurse (2019-present)
- Gurley, L.E. (2018). Educators’ preparation to teach, perceived teaching presence, and perceived teaching presence behaviors in blended and online learning environments. Online Learning Journal, 22(2), 197-220. doi:10.24059/olj.v22i2.1255
- Gurley, L. E., Roberson, J., York, A., & Childress, J. (March 2019). An interprofessional team approach to using standardized patient simulation to facilitate person-centered quality healthcare in home hospice care setting. Poster presentation, National Academies of Practice 2019 Annual Meeting, Pentagon City, VA.
- Gurley, L. E. (October 24, 2018). Teaching Presence in blended and online learning environments. Podium presentation, Samford Online Professional Development, Samford University.
- Buckner, E., & Gurley, L. E. (2018). Connect to collaborate: Describing IPEC competencies before and after interprofessional education. Podium presentation, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, Region 8 Conference, Mobile, AL
- York, A., Gurley, L., & Childress, J. (2018). Using standardized patient simulation to facilitate concept-based learning in hospice care settings. Podium presentation, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, Region 8 Conference, Mobile, AL.
- Eisenberg, M., & Gurley, L. (2018). The nurse’s role in caring for individuals and families affected by opioid addiction. Podium presentation, Elizabeth A. Morris Clinical Education Session – FACES ’18, Alabama State Nurses Association, Montgomery, AL.
- Gurley, L., Holthaus, A. (2017). Transitioning to a concept-focused approach to nursing education. Workshop for Jefferson State Community College Nursing Faculty, Birmingham, AL.