Dr. Hess has been in nursing for more than 28 years and the academic setting teaching pre-licensure and graduate nursing courses for more than 25 years. Currently, she teaches in the graduate programs at Ida V. Moffett School of Nursing at Samford University in Birmingham, Alabama. She is an advisor, mentor, and project chair for masters and doctoral nursing students. She is a leading expert in the Southeast on the management of diabetes and obesity. She is on the Board of Directors for the Southeastern Diabetes Education Services, National Nurse Practitioners in Women's Health education committee member, Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association education committee member and has been an invited consultant for Takeda pharmaceutical boards. She is widely published and has been involved in several grants. Her most recent grant received is a HRSA grant for advanced practicing nurses in advanced management of diabetes. She currently practices one day per week as a family nurse practitioner in 2 clinics (Diabetes Clinic & the Weight Management Clinic) at the Cooper Green Mercy Health system with Dr. Andrea Cherrington. Not only is she a clinical expert in diabetes but also a personal expert in diabetes due to living with type 1 diabetes for 45 years. Her professional interests include promoting healthier lifestyles and disease prevention. Her recreational interest include boating, estate sales, shopping, and playing with her dogs. She is married to Jeff Marsh who has 2 sons (Ben and Jacob) and they have 3 dogs. Their dogs include a yellow Labrador (Jake), a mixed Lab/Pitt Bull (Lucy), and a Great Dane (Samson). Samson is the newest and youngest member of the family. He keeps them busy. They attend Pell City Baptist Church.
Degrees and Certifications
- PhD Health Education/ Health Promotion - University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Family Nurse Practitioner Post-Masters Certification - University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Masters in Nursing – Clinical Nurse Specialist - Troy State University at Montgomery
- Bachelors in Nursing - Auburn University at Montgomery
- Diploma in Nursing - St. Vincent’s Hospital School of Nursing
Awards and Honors
- 2016 UAB / UA/ UAH DNP Intensive: Student: Ms. Lori High - Best Visible display poster, School of Nursing, Birmingham, AL - 2016
- 2016 UAB / UA/ UAH DNP Intensive: Students: A. Petty, L. Harris, K. Johnson -1st Place Most Outstanding Poster, School of Nursing DNP Intensive, Birmingham, AL - 2016
- 3rd Place in Poster Competition: Promoting improved disease self-management and improved outcomes of patients with diabetes through shared medical app, Southern Arizona Veterans HealthCare System: 2016 Quality Health Fair, Arizona - 2016
- CLINICAL AFFAIRS & PARTNERSHIPS SERIES: The Wicked Health Problem: Transitional Care PATH for underserved patients with diabetes mellitus, Awarded $5,000 for School of Nursing Scholarship fund, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama - 2013
- 2012 – Present: Southeastern Diabetes Education Services - Board Member
- 2015 – Present: Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association - Education Committee
- 2015 – Present: NPWH: Nurse Practitioner Women's Health - Education Committee
- 2015 – Present: American Association of Diabetes Educators - Member
- 2016 – Present: UAB Convocation Committee - Member
- 2016 – Present: UABMC Diabetes Scholars Program -Member
- 2015 – Present: Sigma Theta Tau Nu Chapter - Board Member
- 2014 – 2015: UAB SON Faculty Practice Committee - Chair
- 2016 - Present: American Association of Nurse Practitioners -Reviewer
- 2015 - Present: 2017 5-Minute Clinical Consult - Reviewer
- 2016 - Present: Elsevier Education Content Cappiello - Reviewer
- 2015 – 2017: Sigma Theta Tau Nu Chapter -Board Member
- 2010 – Present: Journal of Child Health Care - Reviewer
Diabetes and Obesity, Research and Expertise areas
- Hess, M. A., Bryant, P., & Bowen, P. (2017). A new long-acting insulin: Tresiba. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice. Status: In Press.
- Hess, M. A., Steadman, L. (2017). Obesity case study. The Clinical Advisor. Status: In Press
- Bowen, P., Bryant, P., & Hess, M. A. (2017). Understanding health policy power to improve primary care management of obesity. Journal of Nurse Practitioners. Status: In Press
- Hess, M. A., Steadman, L. (2017). Weight management clinic for the treatment of a 14-year-old female with sudden weight gain. Pediatric Nursing, Vol.43(1), p.49(2
- Hess, M. A., Steadman, L. A. (2016). Critical Thinking Case Studies: Excessive hunger and weight loss in a healthy teen. Pediatric Nursing, 42(2), p. 100(2).
- Barreras, Linda, Hess, Annette (2016). Improving the care of overweight or obese children. Nurse Practitioner Perspective, Website.
- Hess, M. A. (2016). Obesity (CEU Webinar). NPWH, Website.
- Hess, M. A. (2016). Obesity Basics: Lifestyle intervention strategies, Release Date: April 15, 2016. NPWH / Spire Learning, Web based CEU
- Gerontological Advanced Practice Nu, Educational Committee members (2016). Gerontological advanced practice nurses resource toolkit. Gerontological Advanced Practice Nurses Association, Web.
- Hess, M. A., Bowen, P., Bryant, P. (2015). Pharmacology CE: Diabetes long-acting insulins: A new entry offers an additional dosing choice. Nurse Practitioner Perspective, November/December, 33-36.
- Hess, M. A., Bowen, P. (2015). Long-acting Insulin's: A new entry offers an additional dosing choice. Nurse Practitioner Perspective, Nov/Dec.
- Hess, M.A. (2017, October). 20TH Annual NPWH Premier Women’s Healthcare Conference. Obesity, cardio, hypercholesterolemia. Nurse Practitioner IN Women’s Health: Caring for Women, Seattle, WA
- Roussel, L, Hallman, M.G., Hess, M.A. (2017, January). Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) Team Projects: Best Practice in Student/Faculty Engagement, American Association of Colleges of Nursing, 2017 Doctoral Education Conference, The Imperative for Innovation in Doctoral Nursing Education, San Diego, CA
- Roussel, L, Hallman, M.G., Hess, M.A. (2017, March). Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) Team Projects: Best Practice in Student/Faculty Engagement, American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) Webinar, Webinar (online)
- Hess, M.A. (2016, March). Diabetes Educational Modules Video Series (3), UAB SON Office of Professional Development, Birmingham, Alabama
- Hess, M.A. (2016, April). Obesity Management in Women Across the Lifespan, Managing Women's Health Issues Across a Lifespan, Pasadena, CA
- Hess, M.A. (2016, October). Obesity Strategies and the utilization of Medications, Mississippi Nurses Association: 2016 Annual Convention, Biloxi, MS
- Chudomelka, C., Hess, M.A. (2016, September). Promoting Improved disease self-management and improved outcomes of patients with diabetes through shared medical appointments, Southern Arizona Veterans HealthCare System Quality Fair 2016, Sierra Vista, Arizona
- Hess, M.A. (2017, January). Weight Management in Children, The Alabama Chapter of NAPNAP Presents 2017 Annual CE Conference, Birmingham, AL
- Hess, M.A. (2017, February). Initiating / Integrating a Weight Management Clinic , CANPA Conference: Obesity and the Co-morbidities , Birmingham, AL
- Hess, M.A. (2017, April). Diabetes & Healthier Lifestyles, Veteran's Administration Retirement Facility Diabetes Day, Pell City, AL
- Hess, M.A. (2017, October). Diabetes: Know your numbers, Cooper Green Mercy Services Diabetes Update, Birmingham, AL
- Hess, M.A. (2017, August). Diabetes Management, UABMC Diabetes Scholars Day, Birmingham, Alabama
- Hess, M.A. (2017, March). Diabetes Management, Cooper Green Mercy Services Diabetes Management Update, Birmingham, AL
- Culturally Competent, Distance Accessible Doctorate of Nursing. Health Resources & Service Administration (HRSA). Role: Project Director, Total Cost: $838,190. (Dates of Award 7/20/2011 - 5/31/2015). Status: Awarded
- EatRight True Rewards Program. UAB Diabetes Research and Training Center (DRTC). Role: Co-investigator, Total Cost: $50,000. (Dates of Award 3/1/2010 - 2/28/2011). Status: Awarded
- Diabetes Type II Translational Research - Iadapt (ENCOURAGE 2). National Institute of Health. Role: Co-investigator, Total Cost: 1,497.848. (Dates of Award 9/30/2010 - 9/1/2013). Status: Awarded
- Evaluating Community Peer Advisors and Diabetes Outcomes in Rural Alabama. American Academy of Family Physicians Foundation (AAFP), University of North Carolina (UNC). Role: Co-investigator, Total Cost: 805,000. (Dates of Award 1/1/2009 - 12/31/2011). Status: Awarded
- Integrated Treatment Plans for Lifestyle Therapy. Health Services Foundation Endowed General Grant, UAB. Role: Co-investigator, Total Cost: 209,206. (Dates of Award 1/1/2009 - 12/31/2010). Status: Awarded