Jane Holston, D.N.P., FNP-BC, COI
Associate Professor and Coordinator, Emergency Nurse Practitioner Program
Ida Moffett School of Nursing
Jane Holston is an associate professor in the Nurse Practitioner program at Samford University in Birmingham, Alabama, where she recently assisted in the development of the Emergency Nurse Practitioner program. She has 23 years of experience as a registered nurse (RN) and has practiced as a family nurse practitioner (FNP) for the past 13 years. During her career as a RN, she worked in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) at Brookwood Hospital in Birmingham, Alabama. During that time, she also served as coordinator of the Family Support program that cared for families who were experiencing the loss of a baby through miscarriage, stillbirth or neonatal death.Her primary experience and fields of interest as a nurse practitioner include neurology, pain management and emergency/urgent care. She earned the Doctor of Nursing Practice (D.N.P.) from the University of South Alabama in 2012 where she completed a project that focused on head injuries in school-aged athletes. Based on her experiences from working with grieving families in the NICU, she published a CE article in the Journal of Christian Nursing in 2015 titled Supporting Families in Neonatal Loss, which focused on hypoplastic left heart syndrome.
To maintain her clinical skills, she currently works part-time in a pain management clinic and part-time in an urgent care clinic, in addition to teaching full time in the emergency nurse practitioner program at Samford University.
Degrees and Certifications
- D.N.P., University of South Alabama
- M.S.N., Samford University
- A.D.N., Wallace State School of Nursing
- Registered Nurse, Alabama Board of Nursing
- Family Nurse Practitioner, ANCC
- Registered Nurse, Idaho Board of Nursing
- Certified Online Instructor, LERN
- UMCOR Emergency Response Team, United Methodist Church
- Basic Life Support, AHA
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support, AHA
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support, AHA
- Emergency department
- Urgent care
- Pain management
- Neonatal intensive care
Awards and Honors
- Sigma Theta Tau, 2004
- American Nurses Credentialing Center, 2004 to present
- International Headache Society, 2006 to 2011
- American Academy of Neurology, 2006 to 2011
- Central Alabama Nurse Practitioner's Association, 2010 to present
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 2010 to present
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties, 2011 to present
- Nurse Practitioner Alliance of Alabama, 2010 to present
- Alabama League of Nursing, secretary, 2015 to present
- American Academy of Emergency Nurse Practitioners, 2016 to present
- Holston, J. & Hallman, M. (2017). Emergency Nurse Practitioner Academic Preparation and Certification. Nurse Practitioner Alliance of Alabama (NPAA). Birmingham, AL
- Holston, J. & Collins, A. (2015, February). Say Goodnight Safely. Central Alabama Nurse Practitioner’s Association (CANPA). Samford University
- Collins, A. and Holston, J (2015, February). Managing Pain in Primary Care. Central Alabama Nurse Practitioner’s Association (CANPA). Samford University
- Holston, J. (2014, October 2). Reducing the Risk of Second Impact Syndrome in School-Age Athletes. The Alabama State Nurses’ Association Annual Convention. Tuscaloosa, AL.
- Holston, J. (2014, April 22). Sports-Related Head Injuries in the Pediatric Population. The Alabama State Nurses’ Association Elizabeth A. Morris Clinical Education Session - FACES ’14. Montgomery, AL.
- Holston, J. (2013, August 19). Concussion in Sports. New Beginnings: Samford Faculty Workshop. Birmingham, AL.
- Holston, J. (2013). Know the Impact. Alabama Head Injury Foundation – Sports Concussion Task Force. Birmingham, AL.
- Holston, J. & Collins, A. (2015, June). Say Goodnight Safely. American Association of Nurse Practitioner’s (AANP) Annual Conference. New Orleans, LA
- Collins, A. & Holston, J. (2015, June). Educating Patients on the Negative Effects of Tobacco Use on Chronic Pain. American Association of Nurse Practitioner’s (AANP) Annual Conference. New Orleans, LA
- Holston, J. (2014, October 2). Reducing the Risk of Second Impact Syndrome in School- Age Athletes. The Alabama State Nurses’ Association (ASNA) Annual Convention. Tuscaloosa, AL
- Collins, A. & Holston, J. (2014, June 20) Managing Pain in Primary Care: Who and How Do I Treat? Who Do I Refer? American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) Annual Conference. Nashville, TN
- Holston, J. (2013, September). Reducing the Risk of Second Impact Syndrome in School-Age Athletes. Nurse Practitioner Alliance of Alabama (NPAA) Annual Conference. Birmingham, AL
- Holston, J. (2013, April 12) An Innovative Teaching Strategy to Increase Knowledge and Awareness within a Community. NONPF 39th Annual Meeting: Bridging Innovation Across NP Education. Pittsburgh, PA.
- Collins, A., Cortes, C., Cunningham, J., Holston, J., & Isley, B. (2012, October 16). Innovative Clinical Supervision Strategies for Distance Education Nurse Practitioner Programs. NONPF 38th Annual Meeting: Revolutionary Ideas and Nurse Practitioner Education. Charleston, SC.
- Holston, J. (2012, July 26) Reducing the Risk of Second Impact Syndrome in School-Age Athletes. Promoting Scholarship in Clinical Practice –Doctor of Nursing Practice Scholars Day. Mobile, AL.