Jane Holston is an associate professor in the Nurse Practitioner program at Samford University in Birmingham, Alabama, where she serves as the coordinator of the Emergency Nurse Practitioner program. She has 24 years of experience as a registered nurse (RN) and has practiced as a family nurse practitioner (FNP) for the past 14 years. She became certified as an Emergency Nurse Practitioner (ENP) in 2019. During her career as a RN, she worked in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) at Brookwood Hospital in Birmingham, Alabama. During that time, she also served as coordinator of the Family Support program that cared for families who were experiencing the loss of a baby through miscarriage, stillbirth or neonatal death.Her primary experience and fields of interest as a nurse practitioner include neurology, pain management and emergency/urgent care. She earned the Doctor of Nursing Practice (D.N.P.) from the University of South Alabama in 2012 where she completed a project that focused on head injuries in school-aged athletes. Based on her experiences from working with grieving families in the NICU, she published a CE article in the Journal of Christian Nursing in 2015 titled Supporting Families in Neonatal Loss, which focused on hypoplastic left heart syndrome.
To maintain her clinical skills, she currently works part-time in a pain management clinic and part-time in an emergency department, in addition to teaching full time in the emergency nurse practitioner program at Samford University.
Degrees and Certifications
- D.N.P., University of South Alabama
- M.S.N., Samford University
- A.D.N., Wallace State School of Nursing
- Registered Nurse, Alabama Board of Nursing
- Family Nurse Practitioner, ANCC
- Emergency Nurse Practitioner, NPAA
- Registered Nurse, Idaho Board of Nursing
- Certified Online Instructor, LERN
- UMCOR Emergency Response Team, United Methodist Church
- Basic Life Support, AHA
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support, AHA
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support, AHA
- Emergency department
- Urgent care
- Pain management
- Neonatal intensive care
Awards and Honors
- Sigma Theta Tau, 2004
- American Nurses Credentialing Center, 2004 to present
- International Headache Society, 2006 to 2010
- American Academy of Neurology, 2006 to 2011
- Central Alabama Nurse Practitioner's Association, 2010 to present
- American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 2010 to present
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties, 2011 to present
- Nurse Practitioner Alliance of Alabama, 2012 to present
- Alabama League of Nursing, secretary, 2015 to present
- American Academy of Emergency Nurse Practitioners, 2016 to present
- Holston, J & Bigham, A. (2019) Bridging the Gap: From Family NP to Emergency NP. Podium presentation presented at the National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties 45th Annual Conference. Atlanta, GA.
- Holston, J & Bigham, A. (2018) Bridging the Gap: From Family NP to Emergency NP. American Association of Emergency Nurse Practitioners 2018 Emergency Care Symposium. Chattanooga, TN.
- Holston, J. & Hallman, M. (2017). Emergency Nurse Practitioner Academic Preparation and Certification. Nurse Practitioner Alliance of Alabama (NPAA). Birmingham, AL
- Collins, A. & Holston, J. T. (2014). "Say Goodnight Safely”, Podium and poster presented at CANPA CEU Conference February, 2015.
- Collins, A. & Holston, J. (2014). "Managing Pain in Primary Care” - Who and How Do I Treat? Who Do I Refer?" Podium presentation presented at CANPA CEU Conference February, 2015.
- Collins, A. & Holston, J. T. (2014). "Say Goodnight Safely," poster presented at the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners 28th National Conference Summer 2015.
- Holston, J. T. & Collins, A. (2014). "Educating Patients on the Negative Effects of Tobacco Use on Chronic Pain," poster presented at the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners 28th National Conference Summer 2015.
- Holston, J. T. (2014). Reducing the Risk of Second Impact Syndrome in School Aged Athletes. Podium presentation presented at ASNA – FACES Summer 2014.
- Holston, J. (2013). An Innovative Teaching Strategy to Increase Knowledge and Awareness within a Community. Poster Presentation at the NONPF 39th Annual Meeting - Nurse Practitioner Education: At the Heart of Health Care in 2014.
- Holston, J. (2013). Know the Impact: Concussion Awareness presentation and video. Presented to the Alabama Concussion Task Force at spring 2013 meeting
- Holston, J. (2012) Innovative Clinical Supervision Strategies for Distance Education Nurse Practitioner Programs. Presented at the 2012 NONPF Annual Conference.
- Holston, J. T. (2012, July). Reducing the Risk of Second Impact Syndrome in School-Aged Athletes. Poster Presentation at the University of South Alabama Doctor of Nursing Practice Poster Presentation Day.
Other Intellectual Contributions
- Holston, J.T. (2012). Know the Impact video – Used for concussion education across the country.
- Holston, J. Inter-professional Education Program on Concussion Awareness. Faculty Development Grant. December 2016. Funding Awarded: $2365.00
- Cunningham, J., Bigham, A., Collins, A., Holston, J., Johnston, K., McMichael, S., Shelton, L. -Advanced Education Nursing Traineeship. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Grant. July 2016-June 2017. Funding Awarded: $350,000.
- Collins, A., Holston, J. A Comparison of Magnesium vs. Melatonin for Improved Sleep Quality and Quantity. Faculty Development Grant. October 2014. Funding awarded: $3457.50
- Invitation accepted from Theresa Campo to update a chapter in: Essential Procedures for the Emergency, Urgent, and Primary Care Settings, 3rd edition – Procedures for Managing Puncture Wounds in the ED – in progress
- Luthin, D. R., Holston, J. T., & Adams-Mitchell, C. J. (2019) Impact of an inter-professional concussion awareness program for intramural athletes on students’ readiness for inter-professional learning. Journal of Interprofessional Education and Practice. In Press. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.1016/j.xjep.2019.03.005
- Holston, J.T. (2015). Supporting families in neonatal loss: Relationships, faith, keys to comfort. Journal of Christian Nursing, 21(1), 18-25.
- Whisenant, D. Hill, J. Cortes, C. & Holston, J. (2014). Developing a health promotion program for women in rural Jamaica: How we began and implications for practice. International Journal of Nursing, 1(2), 1-10.