Dr. Wynn is a nurse educator with extensive professional leadership and scholarly work. In addition, she has experience with program, curriculum, and course development. Recently, she developed several pathways to assist Veterans students in obtaining a BSN degree. She has a wide-range of clinical experience in underserved populations, which includes the provision of education, counseling, and treatment to minority and disadvantaged patients in various settings. Currently, she is the only mental health primary care provider for a community-based clinic, which offers services for uninsured patients in seven underserved and rural counties in Alabama. She is committed to developing professional nurses and strengthening relationships with academic, preceptors, and clinical partners throughout the community.
Degrees and Certifications
- D.N.P., University of South Alabama
- FNP, The University of Alabama
- PMHNP, University of South Alabama
- M.S.N., The University of Alabama
- B.S.N., The University of Alabama
- A.D.N., Shelton State Community College
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association, Scholarly Review Committee & Awards and Recognition Committee
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties, Abstract Reviewer
- National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties, Nominations Committee Member
- American Nurses Credentialing Center Interprofessional National Disaster Healthcare, Certification Item Writer
- American Nurses Credentialing Center Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, Certification Item Writer
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, Accreditation Site Visitor
- Volunteers of America South Alabama Human Rights, Board Chair
Awards and Honors
- Outstanding Faculty Award
- ANCC Interprofessional National Disaster Healthcare Content Expert
- ANCC Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Content Expert
- Excellence Teaching Award
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Sigma Theta Tau
- Psychiatric-Mental Health
- Rural Family Health, Primary Care
- Wynn, S. (2020). Utilizing virtual standardized patients in behavioral health interprofessional education. Journal of Nursing Education.
- Wynn, S. (2020). Achieving patient satisfaction: Utilizing telehealth via an academic-practice partnership. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association. https://doi.org/10.1177/1078390320902828
- Wynn, S. (2020). Out of the foxhole: Spiritual support of veteran students. Journal of Christian Nursing, 37(1), 52-56. https://doi.org/10.1097/CNJ.0000000000000668
- Wynn, S. (2019). Limited mental health clinical sites: Telehealth is the answer. Journal of Nursing Education, 58(3), 187. https://doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20190221-14
- Alexander, S., & Wynn, S. (2018). Improving the perceived quality of life of U.S. military veterans with serious mental illness. Mental Health Practice, 21(8), 38-43. https://doi.org/10.7748/mhp.2018.e1298
- Snow, R., & Wynn, S. (2018). Managing opioid use disorder and co-occurring post-traumatic stress disorder among veterans. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services, 55(6), 36-42. https://doi.org/10.3928/02793695-20180212-03
- Wynn, S. (2017). Overcoming education failures and retakes: A spiritual process. Journal of Christian Nursing 34(4), 232-235. https://doi.org/10.1097/CNJ.0000000000000421
- Wynn, S. (2017). Natural disasters: Planning for psychological first aid. Journal of Christian Nursing, 34(1), 24-28. https://doi.org/10.1097/CNJ.0000000000000226
- Wynn, S. (2016). Preparing today’s nursing students for tomorrow’s career. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 37(4), 245-248. https://doi.org/10.3109/01612840.2015.1130761
- Wynn, S. (2015). After the trenches: Spiritual care of veterans. Journal of Christian Nursing, 32(4), 219-223. https://doi.org/10.1097/CNJ.0000000000000203
- Wynn, S. (2019, February). Designing academic pathways for veterans to earn degrees. Southern Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers.
- Snow, R., & Wynn, S. (2018, October). Utilizing simulation to improve the quality of care of veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder and opioid use disorder. American Psychiatric Nursing Association 32nd Annual Conference.
- Wynn, S. (2018, January). Overcoming clinical site challenges: The utilization of telehealth. 16th Annual Hawaii International Conference on Education.
- Wynn, S. (2017, October). Utilizing telehealth in psychiatric mental health clinical. American Psychiatric Nursing Association 31st Annual Conference.
- Ratcliffe, C., & Wynn, S. (2017, October). Improving practice by wooing others through innovative communication. American Psychiatric Nursing Association 31st Annual Conference.
- Wynn, S., Carver, P., Jones, B., Collins, J., & Pagano-Lawrence, L. (2017, February). Lessons learned in transitioning Veterans into a BSN Program. NASPA Symposium on Military Connected Students Conference.
- Wynn, S. (2016, September). Pharmacological treatment of depression in primary care. Nurse Practitioner Alliance of Alabama 10th Annual Conference.
- Psychiatric-Mental Health
- Health Technology