This M.S.N. degree program will prepare you to meet the eligibility criteria to sit for both the Family Nurse Practitioner and Emergency Nurse Practitioner certification exams at the national level. On both national certification exams, our pass rates are consistently at or near 100 percent.
The program encompasses comprehensive, across the life-span primary care and emergency/urgent care. Entry to this program is available in the spring of each year. Upon completion, graduates will be prepared to work in a variety of health care settings.
This is an exciting new opportunity that offers significant advancements in the academic preparation of nurse practitioners.
Nurse practitioner students:
- Earn a Master of Science in Nursing degree online without having to relocate
- Participate in cutting edge, web-based learning with clinical experiences close to home
- Access all coursework and resources anywhere, anytime and from any internet-connected electronic device
- Complete clinical hours in a variety of health care sites across the United States, ranging from pediatrics to obstetrics/gynecology to adult/geriatrics to emergency/urgent care
- Receive instruction from experienced nurse practitioners and physicians who are dedicated to excellent patient care and student education
- Receive close, personal attention from highly educated and experienced faculty who are readily available to you
- Experience a rich tradition of high academic standards and quality education practices
- Visit Samford's beautiful campus in Birmingham for four required sessions during the program
- Seamlessly continue into our Doctor of Nursing Practice Program without reapplying
The FNP/ENP nurse practitioner program prepares you to:
- Obtain family nurse practitioner certification through the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners Certification Board (AANPCB) or the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
- Obtain specialty certification as an emergency nurse practitioner through the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners Certification Board (AANPCB)
- Provide care for patients in primary care as well as urgent care facilities and hospital-based emergency departments
- Provide care congruent with the Family Nurse Practitioner Competencies and the Emergency Nurses Association Competencies for Nurse Practitioners in Emergency Care
- Increase your marketability as a provider in an ever-changing healthcare climate
Admission Requirements & Criteria
FNP/ENP Nurse Practitioner Admission Deadline
Spring M.S.N. Entry Month: January (7 semester plan of study)
Slate Application Deadline: Extended to October 1, 2019
FNP/ENP Nurse Practitioner Admission Criteria
- Unencumbered licensure as a registered nurse
- B.S.N. from CCNE, CNEA, or ACEN (formerly NLNAC) and regionally accredited program
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in nursing courses
- A video submission
- One undergraduate course in nursing research with a grade of C (2.0) or better
- One undergraduate health assessment course with a grade of B (3.0) or better
- International applicants (applicants who are not United States citizens or Permanent Residents) must contact the director of graduate student services for detailed program requirements
- American citizens or Permanent Residents who learned English as a second language must score at least 575 (paper) or 90 (internet) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- If accepted, a non-refundable fee of $750 is required to secure admission to the program. This fee is applied to the first semester's tuition.
- Should any of the above conditions not be met, the applicant may be considered on an individual basis.
FNP/ENP Nurse Practitioner Application Process
Applications to the FNP/ENP Practitioner program are submitted online through Slate.
Transcripts can be sent electronically to email@example.com or by mail to:
Office of Admission
800 Lakeshore Drive
Birmingham, AL 35229
Plan of Study
Tuition, Fees & Financial Aid
Tuition and Fees
Tuition for in-state and out-of-state students is $862 per credit hour. Tuition may be paid online or at the Bursar’s Office and it must be paid by the first day of each semester/term. Policies and methods for tuition and fee payment can be found in the Samford University catalog and the Financial Services website.
Fees are automatically generated following registration. For a full list of university, school and course fees please view our graduate fees worksheet.
The following additional fees are applicable for the 2019-2020 academic year:
- Remote Proctor – $200
- Background check – cost varies by state
A financial assistance program administered by the Office of Financial Aid has been established to aid students in attending Samford University.
To learn more about financial aid options, please visit the Office of Financial Aid or call 205-726-2905.