Family Nurse Practitioner
The master's family nurse practitioner program prepares registered nurses to deliver primary health care to individuals and families throughout their lives. Family nurse practitioners are growing in importance as the entire industry looks for innovations that improve outcomes while also reducing overall costs.
Completing the program qualifies you to sit for the FNP national certification examination with either the American Nurses' Credentialing Center (ANCC) or the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANPCB). On the family nurse practitioner national certification exam, our pass rates are consistently at or near 100%.
The FNP option is led by certified nurse practitioner faculty who are experienced in clinical practice and teaching. You will precept with seasoned nurse practitioners and physicians who are dedicated to excellent patient care and student education.
You may enter the program in January or August of each year. The program offers flexibility with all courses taught online and only three required campus visits.
- Earn a Master of Science in nursing degree online without having to relocate
- Participate in cutting edge, web-based learning with clinical experiences close to home
- Access all coursework and resources anywhere, anytime and from any internet-connected electronic device
- Complete clinical hours in a variety of primary care sites across the United States, ranging from pediatrics to obstetrics/gynecology to adult/geriatrics
- Receive instruction from experienced nurse practitioners and physicians who are dedicated to excellent patient care and student education
- Receive close, personal attention from highly educated and experienced faculty who are readily available to you
- Experience a rich tradition of high academic standards and quality education practices
- Visit Samford's beautiful campus in Birmingham for three required sessions during the program
- Seamlessly continue into our Doctor of Nursing Practice Program without reapplying
The family nurse practitioner program prepares you to:
- Work in diverse practice settings providing comprehensive primary health care to all age groups
- Diagnose and manage common acute and chronic health problems as an interdisciplinary health care team member
- Write prescriptions and order diagnostic tests
- Apply a holistic, evidence-based, family-centered approach to care
- Promote quality health care and improve clinical outcomes of patients
- Emphasize health promotion and disease prevention
Admission Requirements & Criteria
- Unencumbered licensure as a registered nurse
- B.S.N. from CCNE, CNEA, or ACEN (formerly NLNAC) and regionally accredited program
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in nursing courses
- A video submission
- One undergraduate course in nursing research with a grade of C (2.0) or better
- One undergraduate health assessment course with a grade of B (3.0) or better
- International applicants (applicants who are not United States citizens or Permanent Residents) must contact the director of graduate student services for detailed program requirements
- American citizens or Permanent Residents who learned English as a second language must score at least 575 (paper) or 90 (internet) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- If accepted, a non-refundable fee of $750 is required to secure admission to the program. This fee is applied to the first semester's tuition.
- Should any of the above conditions not be met, the applicant may be considered on an individual basis.
Applications to the Family Nurse Practitioner program are submitted online through Slate.
Transcripts can be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
Office of Admission
800 Lakeshore Drive
Birmingham, AL 35229
Plans of Study
Spring Semester Plan of Study
Fall Semester Plan of Study
Tuition, Fees & Financial Aid
Tuition and Fees
Tuition for in-state and out-of-state students is $862 per credit hour. Tuition may be paid online or at the Bursar’s Office and it must be paid by the first day of each semester/term. Policies and methods for tuition and fee payment can be found in the Samford University catalog and the Financial Services website.
Fees are automatically generated following registration. For a full list of university, school and course fees please view our graduate fees worksheet.
The following additional fees are applicable for the 2019-2020 academic year:
- Remote Proctor – $200
- Background check – cost varies by state
A financial assistance program administered by the Office of Financial Aid has been established to aid students in attending Samford University.
To learn more about financial aid options, please visit the Office of Financial Aid or call 205-726-2905.