Family Nurse Practitioner
B.S.N. to D.N.P.
The family nurse practitioner program prepares advanced practice nurses to deliver primary health care to individuals and families throughout their lives. Family nurse practitioners are growing in importance as the entire industry looks for innovations that improve outcomes while also reducing overall costs.
Completing the family nurse practitioner program qualifies you to sit for the family nurse practitioner national certification examination with either the American Nurses' Credentialing Center (ANCC) or the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANPCP). On the family nurse practitioner national certification exam, our pass rates are consistently at or near 100%.
The family nurse practitioner option is led by certified nurse practitioner faculty who are experienced in clinical practice and teaching. You will precept with seasoned nurse practitioners and physicians who are dedicated to excellent patient care and student education.
You may enter the family nurse practitioner program in January or August of each year and there are full-time and part-time options available. The program offers flexibility with all courses taught online and only three required campus visits.
Family nurse practitioner students:
- Earn a Doctor of Nursing Practice degree online without having to relocate
- Participate in cutting edge, web-based learning with clinical experiences close to home
- Access all coursework and resources anywhere, anytime and from any internet-connected electronic device
- Complete clinical hours in a variety of primary care sites across the United States, ranging from pediatrics to obstetrics/gynecology to adult/geriatrics
- Receive instruction from experienced nurse practitioners and physicians who are dedicated to excellent patient care and student education
- Receive close, personal attention from highly educated and experienced faculty who are readily available to you
- Experience a rich tradition of high academic standards and quality education practices
- Visit Samford's beautiful campus in Birmingham for three required sessions during the program
The family nurse practitioner program prepares you to:
- Work in diverse practice settings providing comprehensive primary health care to all age groups
- Diagnose and manage common acute and chronic health problems as an interdisciplinary health care team member
- Write prescriptions and order diagnostic tests
- Apply a holistic, evidence-based, family-centered approach to care
- Promote quality health care and improve clinical outcomes of patients
- Emphasize health promotion and disease prevention
Admission Requirements & Criteria+
Family Nurse Practitioner Admission Deadline
Family Nurse Practitioner Admission Criteria
- Unencumbered licensure as a registered nurse
- B.S.N. from CCNE, CNEA, or ACEN (formerly NLNAC) accredited program
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in nursing courses
- A video submission (link to this site will be provided when application has been submitted.)
- One undergraduate course in nursing research with a grade of C (2.0) or better
- One undergraduate health assessment course with a grade of B (3.0) or better
- International applicants (applicants who are not United States citizens or Permanent Residents) must contact the director of graduate student services for detailed program requirements
- American citizens or Permanent Residents who learned English as a second language must score at least 550 (paper), 213 (computer) or 80 (internet) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- If accepted, a non-refundable fee of $750 is required to secure admission to the program. This fee is applied to the first semester's tuition.
- Should any of the above conditions not be met, the applicant may be considered on an individual basis.
Family Nurse Practitioner Application Process
Applications to the Family Nurse Practitioner program are submitted online through Slate.
Transcripts can be sent electronically to email@example.com or by mail to:
Office of Admission
800 Lakeshore Drive
Birmingham, AL 35229