Samford University's Moffett & Sanders School of Nursing prepares advanced practice nurses to deliver primary health care to individuals and families throughout their lives. Nurse practitioners are growing in importance as the entire industry looks for innovations that improve outcomes while also reducing overall costs.
Moffett & Sanders School of Nursing offers a FNP post-graduate APRN certificate for licensed nurse practitioners who have a graduate nursing degree. Applications to this certificate program are considered on an individual basis following a gap analysis to guide the applicant's placement in the program. Completion of this certificate program prepares you to sit for the FNP national certification exam with either the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners Certification Board (AANPCB) or the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
- Earn a certificate online without having to relocate
- Participate in cutting edge, web-based learning with clinical experiences close to home
- Access all coursework and resources anywhere, anytime and from any internet-connected electronic device
- Complete clinical hours in a variety of settings across the United States
- Receive instruction from experienced nurse practitioners and physicians who are dedicated to excellent patient care and student education
- Receive close, personal attention from highly educated and experienced faculty who are readily available to you
- Experience a rich tradition of high academic standards and quality education practices
September 1 for Spring entry in January
April 1 for Fall entry in August
- Graduate degree in nursing from CCNE, CNEA, or ACEN (formerly NLNAC) accredited program
- Active unencumbered nursing license
- A video submission
- Cumulative graduate GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- American citizens or Permanent Residents who learned English as a second language must score at least 575 (paper) or 90 (internet) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- If accepted, a non-refundable fee of $750 is required to secure admission into the program. This fee is applied to the first semester's tuition
- Transcripts can be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:
Moffett & Sanders School of Nursing
Graduate Student Services
800 Lakeshore Drive
Birmingham, AL 35229
- Three letters of recommendation – two professional (at least one supervisor) and one academic
- Personal statement indicating career plans and likelihood of success in graduate study
- Professional resume
- New York
Practicum & Clinical Hours
This program of study requires clinical hours with patients across the lifespan. The minimum number of clinical hours per course are noted in red on each plan of study below. Students should anticipate spending an average of 16-20 hours each week in clinical rotations (clinical courses only).
The Moffett & Sanders School of Nursing has affiliation agreements with hundreds of clinical agencies across numerous states, with the majority being in the Southeast. Students may request additional affiliation agreements based on preceptor availability and proximity. Professional and personal connections are essential to help secure clinical placement opportunities close to home.
Plan of Study
Nurse Faculty Loan Plans of Study
No plan of study is available
No plan of study is available
Periodic On-Campus Requirements
The majority of the program is accomplished through asynchronous learning modules provided on-line in Canvas. There are periodic synchronous sessions via Zoom (typically one-two per semester). Students are required to be on-campus in Birmingham, Alabama a total of two or three times depending on the plan of study selected. The campus visits are generally two-three days in length and students are notified of the dates at least three months in advance.
Tuition, Fees & Financial Aid
Tuition and Fees
Tuition for in-state and out-of-state students can be found on our graduate tuition worksheet. Tuition may be paid online or at Samford One Stop, and must be paid by the first day of each semester/term. Policies and methods for tuition and fee payment can be found in the Samford University catalog and the Samford One Stop website.
Fees are automatically generated following registration. For a full list of university, school and course fees please view our graduate fees worksheet.
The following additional fees are applicable for the 2021-2022 academic year:
- Background check – cost varies by state
A financial assistance program administered by Samford One Stop has been established to aid students in attending Samford University.
To learn more about financial aid options, please visit the Samford One Stop or call 205-726-2905.
Moffett & Sanders School of Nursing is proud to offer a variety of scholarship opportunities.
Through our Nurse Faculty Loan Program, you could qualify for up to 85% loan forgivness.