This option is for applicants who previously earned an M.S.N. and now desire to complete a practice doctorate (D.N.P.) and become eligible to sit for national FNP certification.
Would you like to expand or change your advanced practice nursing role?
Are you interested in an area that is not the specialization obtained for your M.S.N. degree?
Our Post-master’s Advanced Practice FNP offers the opportunity for you to build upon your clinical skills and knowledge, allowing you to become a family nurse practitioner while earning your D.N.P. degree.
Family Nurse Practitioner Admission
Summer D.N.P. Entry Month: May
Slate Application Deadline Extended: March 1, 2021
D.N.P., Family Nurse Practitioner, Admission Criteria
- Unencumbered licensure as a registered nurse
- Master's degree from a CCNE, CNEA or ACEN (formerly NLNAC) and institutionally accredited college or university
- Master's degree cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale
- A video interview submission
- American citizens or permanent residents who learned English as a second language must score at least 575 (paper) or 90 (internet) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- If accepted, a non-refundable fee of $750 is required to secure admission to the program. This fee is applied to the first semester's tuition.
- Should any of the above conditions not be met, the applicant may be considered on an individual basis
Applications to the Doctor of Nursing Practice program are submitted online through Slate.
Transcripts can be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to:Moffett & Sanders School of Nursing Graduate Students Services
800 Lakeshore Drive
Birmingham, AL 35229
Out-of-state applicants to any of our distance-accessible programs should become familiar with their state’s regulations governing distance accessible programs. Prospective students who plan to conduct Samford’s distance education/clinical in a state other than Alabama, should contact their state’s Board of Nursing and Department of Education for specific rules and regulations pertaining to students enrolled in out-of-state programs. Students residing in states with strict rules and regulations for distance education may not be eligible to receive an offer of admission.
Plan of Study
Tuition, Fees & Financial Aid
Tuition and Fees
Tuition for in-state and out-of-state students is $888 per credit hour. Tuition may be paid online or at Samford One Stop, and must be paid by the first day of each semester/term. Policies and methods for tuition and fee payment can be found in the Samford University catalog and the Samford One Stop website.
Fees are automatically generated following registration. For a full list of university, school and course fees please view our graduate fees worksheet.
The following additional fees are applicable for the 2020-2021 academic year:
- Remote Proctor – $200
- Background check – cost varies by state
- ESS compliance account - $70
A financial assistance program administered by Samford One Stop has been established to aid students in attending Samford University.
To learn more about financial aid options, please visit the Samford One Stop or call 205-726-2905.