Moffett & Sanders School of Nursing is proud to offer the Veterans’ Bachelor of Science in Nursing (VBSN) pathway designed for honorable or generally discharged service members, active duty service members, reservists or guard members. The VBSN program bridges the gap between military culture and today’s professional nursing culture and offers a unique pathway to earning a B.S.N. by allowing veterans and military service members to receive credit for prior valuable hands-on learning experiences.
There are a number of reasons to choose the Moffett & Sanders School of Nursing:
- Moffett & Sanders School of Nursing is a designated Center of Excellence by the National League for Nursing
- Samford ranked first in the nation for student engagement by The Wall Street Journal and Times Higher Education
- Excellent clinical opportunities in all major health-care facilities in the metro Birmingham area
- Low student-to-teacher ratio in clinical settings
- State-of-the art patient simulation center and skills lab
- NCLEX-RN pass rates consistently above the national average
- Excellent employment rates at graduation
- Students study alongside other health care disciplines as part of Samford’s College of Health Sciences
- Opportunities for medical mission trips and study abroad
Our nursing graduates are prepared to use the knowledge, critical thinking skills and practice skills they learned in our program to provide professional nursing care in a variety of clinical settings. Employment rates of our graduates are near 100% and NCLEX pass rates are consistently above the national average.
Admission Requirements & Criteria
The VBSN pathway offers two tracks for veterans to earn a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. Veterans can apply as a transfer applicant or a second-degree applicant if a bachelor’s degree has already been earned.
Transfer Applicant Requirements:
- Admission to Samford University: Apply Now
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or above in all coursework taken to be admitted.
- Minimum science GPA of 2.3 on a 4.0 scale in all required college courses (anatomy, physiology, microbiology, chemistry) or to be considered for conditional admission, a student must have a 2.3 in two of the four required courses. Additionally, a 2.3 or higher must be maintained to progress into nursing courses. To learn more about how your courses will transfer, view our Transfer Credit Equivalency Guide
- All science courses must have been completed within the last ten years.
Second-Degree Applicant Requirements:
- Minimum of a baccalaureate degree in a field other than nursing from an accredited institution at the time the degree was awarded
- Admission to Samford University. Apply Now. (Be sure to apply as an Undergraduate Transfer)
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 on a 4.00 scale in courses required for prior bachelor degree(s).
- Minimum science GPA of 2.3 on a 4.0 scale in all required college courses (anatomy, physiology, microbiology, chemistry) or to be considered for conditional admission, a student must have a 2.3 in two of the four required courses. Additionally, a 2.3 or higher must be maintained to progress into nursing courses
- Must have completed all required science courses within the last ten years
- Must have repeated no more than two of the required science courses one time each.
- No ACT or SAT scores are required
- International applicants or American citizens who learned English as a second language must score at least 575 (paper), 90 (internet) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
College credit may be awarded for prior learning experience after an individualized evaluation of any of the following:
- Academic transcripts
- Joint service transcript
- College of the Air Force transcript
- CLEP exam scores
- DSST exam scores
Admission to the Moffett & Sanders School of Nursing is competitive. Meeting minimum admission requirements is not a guarantee of admission.
Plan of Study
Each student will receive a customized curricular roadmap that utilizes prior education, military service and experience to build a tailored plan of study. This method ensures that each student receives an individualized education that best fits their needs.Veterans' B.S.N. Second Degree Plan of Study
Veterans' B.S.N. Transfer Plan of Study
Nursing is a deeply personal profession, requiring hands-on care of your patients. At Moffett & Sanders School of Nursing, your education will include extensive clinical experiences working with patients in a variety of settings. You won't just learn nursing theory, you'll put what you know into practice from the very beginning. Located in Birmingham, Alabama, one of the nation's most advanced health care communities, you'll have clinical opportunities in a variety of health care facilities.