Hal Neumeier, associate professor and chair of the Department of Health Informatics and Information Management, is a long-time resident of Birmingham, Alabama. Prior to joining Samford University, he was an assistant professor of Healthcare Informatics at Clayton State University in Atlanta and an adjunct professor at Samford. Before starting his career as a full-time college professor in 2014, Neumeier worked for Lucent Technologies as the National Director of Technical Sales Support for the AT&T and BellSouth accounts; prior to this he spent several years in the IT Department of Bellsouth Telecommunications as a Senior Manager and IT Architect. Neumeier has also worked as a Nuclear Medicine Technologist/Department Head and as a Radiologic Technologist.
Neumeier’s professional interests revolve around the ways that information technology can improve quality and lower costs in the medical and dental fields. His current projects include pinpointing barriers to effective and secure sharing of electronic patient records between various health care disciplines, digital dentistry, and research measuring the longitudinal success rate for dental implants in the HIV positive population.
- Ph.D., administration/health services, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- M.P.P.M., public and private management, Birmingham-Southern College
- B.S., computer science, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- CNMT, Nuclear Medicine Technology Certification
Publications and Presentations
- Neumeier, H. et al, “Hospital Budget Increase for IT During Phase 1 Meaningful Use", The Health Care Manager, Volume 34(2) pp. 91-174, April/June 2015
- Neumeier, H. et al, “EHRs In Long-Term and Acute Care Facilities: A Pilot Study” Journal of International Diversity, Vol. 2016 Issue 3, p110-131
- Neumeier, T. & Neumeier, H. “Digital Immediate Dentures Treatment: A Clinical Report of Two Patients”, The Journal of Prosthetic Dentistry, Volume 116(3), pp 314-319, Sept.2016
- Neumeier, H. et al, “Acute Care and Long-Term Care EHR System Interoperability - Comparing Functions, Interfaces, and Use in Continuity of Care, Proceedings of MBAA International Conference
- Neumeier, H. “Future Trends and Research in Health Informatics” Proceedings of Southern Management Association Annual Meeting, 2016