Professor of Accounting
Brock School of Business
Department of Accounting
389 H Cooney Hall
Prior to arriving at Samford in 2000, Cynthia Frownfelter-Lohrke taught at the University of South Florida, the University of Delaware, the University of Texas at San Antonio, and the University of Southern Mississippi. She teaches Accounting Information Systems, Data Analytics for Accounting and Finance, and Accounting Concepts I. Her research has been published in many journals including the Journal of Information Systems, Advances in Accounting Information Systems, The Information Systems Control Journal, The CPA Journal, Journal of Accounting Education, Business Horizons, and the Journal of Management Education. Formally, she worked in public accounting and earned her CPA as an auditor and consultant. She is presently president of the AIS Educator’s Association and is a member of the American Accounting Association and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants.
Degrees and Certifications
- Ph.D., Business, Drexel University
- M.S.E., Instructional Design and Technology, Samford University
- M.S., Accounting, Drexel University
- B.B.A., Accounting, Loyola University of New Orleans
Selected Journal Articles
- Lohrke FT, Mazzei MJ, Frownfelter-Lohrke C. (2021) Should It Stay or Should It Go? Developing an Enhanced SWOT Framework for Teaching Strategy Formulation. Journal of Management Education. June 2021. doi:10.1177/10525629211021143
- Pan, K., Blankley, A. I., Mazzei, M. J., Lohrke, C. F., Marshall, J. B., Charles M. Carson (2018). Surveying Industry Advisors To Select Data Analytics Topics For All Business Majors. The International Journal of Management Education, 16 (3), 483-492, doi: doi.org/10.1016/j.ijme.2018.09.001
- Frownfelter-Lohrke, C. (2017). Teaching good Excel design and skills: A three spreadsheet assignment project. Journal of Accounting Education, 39, 68-83.
- Lohrke, F. T., Frownfelter-Lohrke, C., & Ketchen, D. J. (2016). The role of information technology systems in the performance of mergers and acquisitions. Business Horizons.
- Frownfelter-Lohrke, C., Jones, S., & Marshall, J. B. (2015). Adapting Faculty Initiatives to Minimize the Assessment Burden: A Bottom-Up Approach. Journal of the Academy of Business and Economics. 16(1): 97-110.
- Lohrke, F. T. & Frownfelter-Lohrke, C. (2011). Book Review: Handbook of research on electronic surveys and measurements. Organizational Research Methods, 14 (2): 389-393.
- Frownfelter-Lohrke, C. & Hunton, J. E. (2002). New Opportunities for Information Systems Auditors: Linking Systrust to COBIT. Information Systems Audit and Control Journal, 4:3-13.
- Frownfelter-Lohrke, C. & Fulkerson, C. L. (2001). The Incidence and Quality of Graphics in Annual Reports: An International Comparison. Journal of Business Communication, 38 (3): 337-358.
- Frownfelter-Lohrke, C. & Fulkerson, C. L. (1998). Linking the Incidence and Quality of Graphics in Annual Reports to Corporate Performance: An International Comparison. Advances in Accounting Information Systems, 6: 129-151.
- Frownfelter-Lohrke, C. (1998). The Impact of Differing Information Presentation Formats of General Purpose Financial Statements on Decision-Makers. Journal of Information Systems. 12(2): 99-107.