Rankings & Highlights
We collect and analyze program data to continuously improve how we prepare our students. Our graduates are ready to enter the workforce and lead in their communities. They continue to rise above our high expectations and consistently demonstrate high scores on national tests.
- All of our graduate programs incorporate theoretical concepts with practical, hands-on experience.
- We understand working adults are busy, that is why we’ve worked diligently to provide online master’s options and hybrid programs. This provides graduate students the flexibility they want and need.
Human Development and Family Science
- The Human Development and Family Science (HDFS) department offers degrees that prepare students to become advocates. Students and graduates of this program are passionate about advocating for children, families and people at all stages of life.
- Students gain hands-on knowledge through original research projects and get real-life experience interning with community organizations.
- Many HDFS graduates launch into careers in adoption services, counseling, community-based social services, family law, public policy, occupational and speech therapy and social work.
- Six HDFS students have received the Outstanding Undergraduate Paper Award from the National Council on Family Relations for their original research projects.
- The undergraduate teacher education program was recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as being one of the top four effective teacher preparation programs in the nation.
- Employment rates for all degree graduates are near 100%.
- Samford’s accredited teacher education program is the only one in the state of Alabama that offers a program with four different certifications. Graduates are certified in Early Childhood Education, Early Childhood Special Education, Elementary Education and Elementary Collaborative Education. These four certifications allow candidates to teach children from birth through 6th grade in both regular and special education.
- Candidates complete 1,000 clinical hours in classrooms prior to student teaching in immersion partnership with local schools, contributing to the preparedness and professionalism of our students.
- In 2014, one of our Teacher Education graduates was named National Student Teacher of the Year by Kappa Delta Pi International Honor Society in Education and the Association of Teacher Education.
Nationally Recognized Programs
Many of the educator preparation programs within Orlean Beeson School of Education engage in an extensive peer review process conducted by Specialized Professional Associations (SPAs). SPAs review programs and award national recognition status to programs that meet national standards and benchmarks. Samford Orlean Beeson School of Education has more nationally recognized programs than any university in the state of Alabama.
Department of Teacher Education
- B.S.E. in Early Childhood, Special Education, Elementary, Elementary Collaborative (Early Childhood Education)
- B.S.E. in Early Childhood, Special Education, Elementary, Elementary Collaborative (Elementary Education)
- B.S.E. in Secondary English Education
- B.S.E. in Secondary Social Studies Education
- M.S.E. in Secondary English Education (Fifth-Year Alternative)
- M.S.E. in Secondary Social Studies Education (Fifth-Year Alternative)
- M.S.E. in Secondary Physical Education (Fifth-Year Alternative)
- M.S.E. in Secondary Mathematics (Fifth-Year Alternative)
- M.S.E. in Elementary Education (Fifth-Year Alternative)
Department of Educational Leadership
- M.S.E. in Instructional Leadership
- Ed.S. in Instructional Leadership
Earned Specialized Professional Associations (SPAs)
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)*
- Educational Leadership Constituent Council (ELCC)*
- National Association for Gifted Children/Council for Exceptional Children (NAGC-CEC)
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)*
- National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)*
- National Council of the Social Studies (NCSS)*
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- SHAPE America-Physical Education (formerly NASPE)
*two or more programs earned national recognition from the specialized professional association