At Samford University, we hold our programs to high standards. We collect and analyze data on our programs to continuously improve how we prepare our students. Our graduates are ready to enter the workforce and be leaders in the community. We expect a great deal from our candidates and they continue to rise to the challenge. They enter with high GPAs and test scores and consistently demonstrate high scores on national tests upon completion of our programs.
- State of Alabama Teacher Licensure Exams (Praxis II) 2017/2018 Samford Pass Rate = 100%
- The undergraduate teacher education program in the Department of Teacher of Education was recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as being one of the top four effective teacher preparation programs in the nation.
- Employment rates for all degree graduates are near 100%.
- Samford’s accredited teacher education program is the only one in the state of Alabama that offers a program with four different certifications. Graduates are certified in Early Childhood Education, Early Childhood Special Education, Elementary Education and Elementary Collaborative Education. These four certifications allow candidates to teach children from birth through 6th grade in both regular and special education.
- Candidates complete 1,000 clinical hours in classrooms prior to student teaching in immersion partnership with local schools, contributing to the preparedness and professionalism of our students.
- In 2014, one of our Teacher Education graduates was named National Student Teacher of the Year by Kappa Delta Pi International Honor Society in Education and the Association of Teacher Education.
Human Development and Family Life Education
- Our Human Development and Family Life Education department offers degrees preparing students to become advocates. Students and graduates of this program are passionate about advocating for children, families and people at all stages of life.
- Students have opportunities to intern within community organizations providing students with hands-on opportunities. In addition to this real-life experience, they also gain knowledge through original research projects.
- Many graduates use programs in this department to launch them into careers in adoption services, counseling, community-based social services, family law, public policy, occupational and speech therapy and social work.
- Six Human Development and Family Life Education students have received the Outstanding Undergraduate Paper Award from the National Council on Family Relations for their original research projects.
Curriculum and Instruction
- Orlean Beeson School of Education offers several blended and fully online master’s level degree programs. US News & World Report ranks our online Master of Science in Education (M.S.E.) programs #70 nationally, placing our M.S.E. in Elementary Education and M.S.E. in Gifted Education programs in the top-tier of all graduate education programs.
- All of our graduate programs incorporate theoretical concepts with practical, hands-on experience.
- We understand working adults are busy, that is why we’ve worked diligently to provide online master’s options and hybrid programs. This provides graduate students the flexibility they want and need.
Nationally Recognized Programs
Many of the educator preparation programs within the Orlean Beeson School of Education engage in an extensive peer review process conducted by Specialized Professional Associations (SPAs). SPAs review programs and award national recognition status to programs that meet national standards and benchmarks. Samford Orlean Beeson School of Education has more nationally recognized programs that any university in the state of Alabama.
Department of Teacher Education
- B.S.E. in Early Childhood, Special Education, Elementary, Elementary Collaborative (Early Childhood Education)
- B.S.E. in Early Childhood, Special Education, Elementary, Elementary Collaborative (Elementary Education)
- B.S.E. in Secondary English Education
- B.S.E. in Secondary Social Studies Education
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
- M.S.E. in Gifted Education
- M.S.E. in Secondary English Education (Fifth-Year Alternative Route)
- M.S.E. in Secondary Social Studies Education (Fifth-Year Alternative Route)
- M.S.E. in Secondary Physical Education (Fifth-Year Alternative Route)
- M.S.E. in Secondary Mathematics (Fifth-Year Alternative Route)
- M.S.E. in Elementary Education (Fifth-Year Alternative Route)
Department of Educational Leadership
- M.S.E. in Instructional Leadership
- Ed.S. in Instructional Leadership
Earned Specialized Professional Associations (SPAs)
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)*
- Educational Leadership Constituent Council (ELCC)*
- National Association for Gifted Children/Council for Exceptional Children (NAGC-CEC)
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)*
- National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE)*
- National Council of the Social Studies (NCSS)*
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- SHAPE America-Physical Education (formerly NASPE)
*two or more programs earned national recognition from the specialized professional association