The online D.N.P. Emergency Nurse Practitioner option for master's-prepared family nurse practitioners is intended to prepare nurses to practice in emergency and urgent care settings. Graduates are educated to effectively advance the management of individuals, families and the population to improve the safety and quality of patient care. In addition to obtaining the D.N.P. degree outcomes, this option allows you the following opportunities:
- Obtain specialty certification as an emergency nurse practitioner (ENP) through the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners Certification Board (AANPCB)
- Expand your practice to include urgent care facilities and hospital-based emergency departments
- Provide care congruent with the Emergency Nurses Association Competencies for Nurse Practitioners in Emergency Care
- Increase your marketability as a provider with multiple certifications (FNP and ENP)
This program is completed in 24 months and is designed with flexibility in mind. Courses are offered online with minimal campus visits.
Emergency Nurse Practitioner Admission
Summer D.N.P. Entry Month: May
Slate Application Deadline: January 1
D.N.P., Emergency Nurse Practitioner, Admission Criteria
- Unencumbered licensure as a registered nurse
- National certification as a family nurse practitioner (FNP)
- Master's degree from a CCNE, CNEA or ACEN (formerly NLNAC) and regionally accredited program in the area of family nurse practitioner (FNP)
- Master's degree cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale
- A video interview submission
- American citizens or permanent residents who learned English as a second language must score at least 575 (paper) or 90 (internet) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- If accepted, a non-refundable fee of $750 is required to secure admission to the program. This fee is applied to the first semester's tuition.
- Should any of the above conditions not be met, the applicant may be considered on an individual basis
Applications to the Doctor of Nursing Practice program are submitted online through Slate.
Transcripts can be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or ;by mail to:
Office of Admission
800 Lakeshore Drive
Birmingham, AL 35229
Plan of Study
Tuition, Fees & Financial Aid
Tuition and Fees
Tuition for in-state and out-of-state students is $862 per credit hour. Tuition may be paid online or at Samford One Stop, and must be paid by the first day of each semester/term. Policies and methods for tuition and fee payment can be found in the Samford University catalog and the Samford One Stop website.
Fees are automatically generated following registration. For a full list of university, school and course fees please view our graduate fees worksheet.
The following additional fees are applicable for the 2019-2020 academic year:
- Remote Proctor – $200
- Background check – cost varies by state
A financial assistance program administered by Samford One Stop has been established to aid students in attending Samford University.
To learn more about financial aid options, please visit the Samford One Stop or call 205-726-2905.