Moffett & Sanders School of Nursing’s Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner advanced practice registered nurse certificate prepares licensed primary care nurse practitioners who hold a graduate degree to provide comprehensive mental health care to those who are in need of psychiatric services. Students learn to evaluate, diagnose, manage, and provide specialized treatment to people with mental health disorders.
Millions of Americans are affected by mental health conditions. According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, 1 in 5 adults experience mental illness in a given year, and 1 in 5 youth experience a severe mental disorder at some point during their life. These staggering statistics showcase why the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner certificate adds value to any licensed nurse practitioner’s career.
Graduates meet the eligibility criteria to sit for the Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner certification exam through the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
Nurse practitioner students
- Earn a certificate online without having to relocate
- Participate in cutting edge, web-based learning with clinical experiences close to home
- Access all coursework and resources anywhere, anytime and from any internet-connected electronic device
- Complete clinical hours in a variety of settings across the United States
- Receive instruction from experienced nurse practitioners and physicians who are dedicated to excellent patient care and student education
- Receive close, personal attention from highly educated and experienced faculty who are readily available to you
- Experience a rich tradition of high academic standards and quality education practices
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner graduates are eligible to sit for the certification examination for Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioners through American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
The Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner program prepares you to
- Obtain specialty certification as a psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner through ANCC
- Provide care for patients in primary care as well as assess, diagnose and treat individuals or families with psychiatric disorders
- Identify risk factors for psychiatric and mental health disorders
- Increase your marketability as a provider in an ever-changing healthcare climate
Admission Requirements & Criteria
Entry Month: January
Slate Application Deadline: October 1
- Graduate degree in nursing from CCNE, CNEA, or ACEN (formerly NLNAC) accredited program
- Active unencumbered nursing license
- Current national certification as a primary care nurse practitioner
- A video submission
- Cumulative graduate GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- International applicants (applicants who are not United States citizens or permanent residents) must contact the director of graduate student services for detailed program requirements
- American citizens or Permanent Residents who learned English as a second language must score at least 575 (paper) or 90 (internet) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- If accepted, a non-refundable fee of $750 is required to secure admission into the program. This fee is applied to the first semester's tuition
- Should any of the above conditions not be met, the applicant may be considered on an individual basis
- Transcripts can be sent electronically to email@example.com or by mail to: Moffett & Sanders School of Nursing Office of Admission
800 Lakeshore Drive
Birmingham, AL 35229
- Three letters of recommendation – two professional (at least one supervisor) and one academic
- Personal statement indicating career plans and likelihood of success in graduate study
- Professional resume
Plan of Study
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Fees
Tuition for in-state and out-of-state students is $888 per credit hour. Tuition may be paid online or at Samford One Stop and it must be paid by the first day of each semester/term. Policies and methods for tuition and fee payment can be found in the Samford University catalog and the Samford One Stop website.
Fees are automatically generated following registration. For a full list of university, school and course fees please view our graduate fees worksheet.
The following additional fees are applicable for the 2020-2021 academic year:
- Background check – cost varies by state
Financial assistance is not available for certificate programs.